View Full Version : Error c00d1195 trying to reset firmware

sbrown23
02-27-2008, 09:28 PM
Wondering if anyone has a resolution for this. Got a Zune 80 a couple of weeks ago. The other day, it came up and said that it needed to recover from and error and delete all files. I pressed OK, and it rebooted and came up to the same error. Used the Back|Up combo to reset the device. No go, same error on the device.

So I tried doing a hard reset to wipe the device by pressing Back|Left|Play. The device rebooted, then did the wipe as expected. Then it says to connect to a PC. So I connect it, then it fails to install the firmware, giving the code c00d1195 and apparently thinking there is no space available. Now, my PC has plenty of space ... on the order of 180GB free on C:.

The Zune was just wiped, and so should have plenty of space. In fact, even before it was wiped, I had only gotten about 1GB of media on there so far. So I try installing the software on a different PC, same result. Fails to install the firmware on the device with same error.

Finally, I find a reg hack online that allows you to see the device in Explorer. So I change the appropriate keys, see the device in Explorer, and lo and behold it shows only 1GB of space, all empty of course since it was wiped. What the friggin hell?

Any ideas how to get around that error?

sbrown23
02-28-2008, 05:05 AM
In case anyone else runs across this error on a Zune 80 ... I talked to MS tech support and standard troubleshooting of course did not fix the issue. Was transferred to Level 2 tech, who said that error is an indication that the storage unit (hard drive) on the device has failed, and that the unit has to be sent back. They'll mail a box (3-5 days), I send it back (3-5 days), then another 5 days or so to get another one back. There's a good 3 weeks or so without my new Zune...

Long story short, I wouldn't bother trying too hard to fix a device with that error if the firmware cannot be reloaded after wiping the device.