View Full Version : Radio is the Future of MP3

David Tucker
02-13-2008, 07:26 AM
<em>&quot;Do you spend a lot of time using the FM radio feature on your Zune? Did you even know your Zune has a FM radio? I guess it is more popular for Zune owners to enjoy the FM function than I thought, at least according to published comments from the CEO of the Radio Advertising Bureau, Jeff Haley.&quot;</em> <br /><br /><a href="http://www.cliczune.com/2008/02/zune-owners-lov.html">Nino over at ClicZune</a> is surprised that the FM radio is a popular feature on the Zune. I&rsquo;m not surprised at all. I know a lot of people who have seen my Zune and have commented that they liked that the feature was there. I happen to love it. I don&rsquo;t use it often for one reason and one reason only. The radio station I listen to has a very weak transmitter and as a result, I have never found a portable device that could pick it up well. When I can get reception with it I listen to my morning show at work. <br /><br />Jeff Haley of the Radio Advertising Bureau, an agency I would guess has a vested interest in knowing people&rsquo;s radio listening habits, has found out <a href="http://www.radioink.com/HeadlineEntry.asp?hid=141007&amp;pt=todaysnews">just how important it is: <br /></a><br /><em>&quot;The Zune has an FM receiver because a Microsoft product study found that 46 percent of Zune owners listen to the radio receiver function at least once a week,&quot; he said. &quot;And the radio feature has higher-than-average importance to Zune owners, scoring 8 out of 9 points.&quot;</em> <br /><br />I&rsquo;m not a bit surprised but it makes me wonder who else agrees.&nbsp; I agree with what he says in the article&nbsp; FM radio drives new music consumption.&nbsp; I often hear new songs on the radio that lead me to go find them on my Zune Pass to add them to my collection.

vzuner
02-16-2008, 02:20 PM
I cant say Radio is the future of MP3 , but yes, FM Radio has a special place in the Music world. And this feature in Zune also make it special. I think, people will always like FM radio, because of its good Sound quality and local content which will make them feel its their own City's radio. And a surprise element will always be there while listening to radio, as you unexpectedly happen to listen to your favorite song. And also you can request songs, participate in contests etc. Also a kind of time watch for those who regularly listen to it.

Actually once dead Radio is revived by the numerous FM Radio stations.

And if Zune can provide Recording facility in its future versions, many will record songs, talk shows etc. from their built-in FM Tuner. And yes as you said, we happen to hear new songs first on the radio.

Coming to the point of weak reception, I think it'll also depend on your headphones cord which I think act as sort of aerial to catch the transmission better. Correct me , if I am wrong.
Also it'll depend on Proper tuning. Yes, Zune has auto tuner, but some stations are available on even numbered frequency and if you have set your region as North America, then it may not properly tune. Because when set to this region, it tunes in the range of 87.5 MHz - 107.9 MHz in the steps of 0.2 MHz, so even numbered stations (though rare) are not properly tuned.
So just check this tip for properly tuning (more suitable for those having Zune)
outside N. America) Zune FM Radio Tip (http://vasudevg.blogspot.com/2007/12/zune-fm-radio-tip.html)