View Full Version : Dangerous Zune?

David Tucker
02-08-2008, 03:00 PM
<em>&ldquo;In November of 2006, I received an electric shock through the earbuds of my Microsoft Zune. Simultaneously, the Zune emitted a very loud noise through the earbuds and the device began to reset. Since the incident, I've suffered blood and fluid leakage from my ear canal, a temporary threshold shift, and incessant ringing and discomfort. In October of 2007, after eleven months of medical treatment with limited results, I filed a personal injury lawsuit against Microsoft.&quot;</em><br /><br />If this is true this is very disconcerting to say the least! <a href="http://www.engadget.com/2008/02/02/zune-user-files-suit-against-microsoft-over-alleged-ear-damage/">Engadget also recently</a> reported a similar incident but I suspect it is the same one. The Zune is simply an electronic device and I will not write off this as very possibly having occurred exactly as the plantiff wrote on his <a href="http://www.microsoftzuneinjuries.com/home">Microsoft Zune Injuries</a> site. However, I have some questions nagging me about the statements in this claim. <br /><ol> <li>What sort of electrical shock are we talking here? The Zune battery isn&rsquo;t likely very capable of producing more than a very mild shock. <br /> </li> <li>How loud was this noise? I&rsquo;ve been to some pretty loud rock concerts that have left my ears ringing for several days following the concert. I didn&rsquo;t suffer permanent damage like this. I&rsquo;d be curious to know what sort of decibel level would be required to cause the damage described and if the Zune is capable of reaching that level. </li></ol>This isn&rsquo;t something to be taken lightly so I don&rsquo;t want to dismiss a claim like this out of hand. However, I like to have more information about things like this before trying to come to a conclusion. I&rsquo;ll see if I can find anything more.

darkbeat
02-08-2008, 05:46 PM
In February 2007 I also received some shocks from my Zune (original 30 gig model...obviously). I had been listening to a podcast while I walked from my car to my office. The Zune was still playing when I got to my office and attached the sync cord and plugged it into the usb plug on my office computer. I then received several very mild electrical shocks to the outside area of my ears. It felt like a static electricity discharge, the same you might get from sliding across your car seat and touching the door handle as you step out...only much milder. I had been carrying the zune in my inner coat pocket and I suspect that static electricty built up during my walk into the office. The Zune did not reset and there was no loud noise. I still use the same 30 gig Zune with the same earphones and the shocks have never happened again. I'm not trying to discount anything that may have happened to anyone else...but that was my experience.

ManMythLegend
02-08-2008, 07:50 PM
Happened to me to once.

I was cleaning up the retail store that i used to work at and listening to my Zune as i swept the floor. One quick shock to my left ear if i remember correctly and it was discomforting enough for my hand to immediately swat the earbuds from both ears. However, not discomforting enough for me to not put them right back in after a few seconds; also, no loud noise during or afterwards but it did reset.

Only happened the one time and i never thought anything of it...no leakage of fluids, no pain of the ear.

Kacey Green
02-09-2008, 05:23 AM
I shocked my Zune 80 at work the other day, it was hooked up to desk speakers and didn't make any noise but did reset. I had accidentally shuffled my feet on the carpet and when I saw the Zune turn off my heart skipped a beat. Then the player started to restart.

halodude1177
02-13-2008, 03:21 AM
I always get painful static from:
Zune 4
iPod(30 Gig)
But. . . None From:
Nintendo DS
Nintendo DS Lite
iPod Classic???

WHO THE FU*K KNOWS ANYMORE?!