View Full Version : Changes to Yahoo's Music Service

Chris Gohlke
02-05-2008, 04:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://crenk.com/2008/02/04/yahoo-acquires-foxytunes-and-partners-with-rhapsody-for-music-service/' target='_blank'>http://crenk.com/2008/02/04/yahoo-a...-music-service/</a><br /><br /></div><em>&quot;Today Yahoo made two announcements, they are going to stop their current music service and partner with Rhapsody to provide a new service, and they have also purchased FoxyTunes, a developer of a tool-bar plug-in that enables users to control more than 30 desktop and Web-based music players. This makes an acquisition by Microsoft all the more interesting since Rhapsody and the Zune Marketplace would become a sibling rivalry. With relevance to FoxyTunes none of the details have been released, but we will let you know more when the information becomes available.&quot;<br /><br /></em>Even as Microsoft tries to buy up Yahoo, it is still business as usual at Yahoo. I am assuming that they are hoping that a partnership with Rhapsody will position them better to compete with the other music services. At least as a subscription based service, no one really gets shafted by Yahoo shuttering their current service.

Kacey Green
02-05-2008, 04:05 AM
At least as a subscription based service, no one really gets shafted by Yahoo shuttering their current service.

They do if they are running Windows Vista. After my Urge account was sold to Rhapsody/Real, I had to make my switch to the Zune months ahead of my budget (without music I'm not pleasant) because the Rhapsody software just won't run on my machines and support was no help at all. I'm still waiting for my schedule to line up with their phone hours so I can cancel the subscription and have them stop billing me.

Jason Dunn
02-05-2008, 03:40 PM
At least as a subscription based service, no one really gets shafted by Yahoo shuttering their current service.

Sort of - although they do on price. Yahoo's package was only $5.99 a month, and I think Rhapsody is $9.99 or more...

onlydarksets
02-05-2008, 06:36 PM
Sort of - although they do on price. Yahoo's package was only $5.99 a month, and I think Rhapsody is $9.99 or more...
I'll let you know what happens with my Yahoo to Go account. I've still got 11 months on my contract.

Chris Gohlke
02-05-2008, 09:14 PM
OK, you get shafted in a different way.

Kacey Green
02-06-2008, 04:19 AM
we all came away from that with a different objection :)