View Full Version : I Pulled the Trigger: Nikon D300 and 24-70mm f2.8 Lens On the Way

Jason Dunn
01-05-2008, 09:28 PM
Well, I did it: after a couple of months of pondering and waiting for a few reviews to come out, I've made the decision and have placed my order for the <a href="http://www.nikon.ca/en/Product.aspx?m=17015" target="_blank">Nikon D300</a> and for the <a href="http://www.nikon.ca/en/Product.aspx?m=14342" target="_blank">Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G IF ED lens</a>. It's a very strange feeling the first time you order a lens that's more expensive than the brand new camera, but this is some seriously awesome glass and after looking at all the grainy ISO 1600 photos I snapped at Christmas (because my lens was so slow), I knew it was time to get something better for the type of natural light shooting that I do. So, with great anticipation I await the arrival of my new camera and lens - thankfully I have CES to distract me, or I might not sleep all weekend. ;-)

hurshphoto
01-05-2008, 10:41 PM
Jason,

You'll be happy you went with the good glass.

Enjoy,
Leonard

Kris Kumar
01-05-2008, 11:47 PM
Its a great camera. Not only does it take great pictures, it does justice to the replays on the 3" LCD. The screen is amazing. [Why oh why didnt Canon put a better screen on the 40D. :-( ]

onlydarksets
01-06-2008, 06:08 AM
I am so out of my league here, but I'm tempted to get a SLR. I'm tired of missing shots and getting blurs. That said, this one is way beyond my current skill level. Enjoy the new toy!

marlof
01-06-2008, 09:44 AM
Congratulations my friend. That's a great camera, and out of everything I hear, maybe an even greater lens. And the fun thing is: you'll be amazed at the ISO 1600 you'll get out of your D300 compared to the D200. So imagine the available light world opening up to you now.

bmhome1
01-07-2008, 02:01 AM
That lens is in the big glass league. Wasn't it only just a year ago when shooting RAW at all was debated here? Have you tried Noise Ninja painted in via layers on old images offering selective noise control of dark areas? The blending can be set much higher while keeping detail untouched. Also good high ISO facial noise smoothing tool.

Jason Dunn
01-07-2008, 02:55 AM
I am so out of my league here, but I'm tempted to get a SLR. I'm tired of missing shots and getting blurs.

Thankfully, there are a lot of great choices when it comes to DSLR cameras today. I'd suggest you take a look at the Nikon D40 or Canon Digital Rebel XT. Both are great entry-level cameras that won't bust the budget, but will be a HUGE step up above whatever point and shoot on the market you're using.

Jason Dunn
01-07-2008, 02:58 AM
That's a great camera, and out of everything I hear, maybe an even greater lens. And the fun thing is: you'll be amazed at the ISO 1600 you'll get out of your D300 compared to the D200.

Yes, I'm really looking forward to shooting with the fast glass, almost more than I am shooting with the D300...but I'm also VERY excited about the D300. I'm getting very excited now. :D

Jason Dunn
01-07-2008, 03:03 AM
That lens is in the big glass league. Wasn't it only just a year ago when shooting RAW at all was debated here?

It might have been - I know in the last 12 months I've done a complete 180 degrees on RAW. November 2006 was the first time I shot in RAW and I've learned a lot since then. But what's your point? That I can't grow as a photographer? ;) Beyond the faster lens performance I also really crave the sharpness that the pro-level Nikon glass offers.

Have you tried Noise Ninja painted in via layers on old images offering selective noise control of dark areas? The blending can be set much higher while keeping detail untouched. Also good high ISO facial noise smoothing tool.

I've toyed around with Noise Ninja and a few other tools, and with the noise reduction in Lightroom, but there's only so much trickery you can do (although I'm sure people can do some amazing things with it). Software adjustments are no replacement for getting a better photo in the first place though...

hurshphoto
01-10-2008, 06:41 AM
Its a great camera. Not only does it take great pictures, it does justice to the replays on the 3" LCD. The screen is amazing. [Why oh why didnt Canon put a better screen on the 40D. :-( ]

I agree! After using a D300 for several weeks, it was a bit of a letdown to look at the back of my 40D. :rolleyes: Nikon sure got this perk right. I only hope that Canon will follow their lead in the future.

Leonard

rtrueman
01-18-2008, 03:47 PM
Jason,

I'm sure you're loving the D300 as much as I do. The high-ISO shots I've taken are impressive! Check out the shot of my son at http://rtrueman.vox.com/library/photo/6a00c225233aa0549d00e398d016d60004.html. It was shot at ISO 6400! Simply amazing...

You'll have to post a review of the 24-70. I shoot with the 17-55 and sometimes think I need a little longer lens. Of course if I switch, I'll miss the wide-angle! Ahhh, more lenses to purchase...

Rob

Jason Dunn
01-18-2008, 07:16 PM
I'm sure you're loving the D300 as much as I do. The high-ISO shots I've taken are impressive!

Indeed, I need to start writing about it on the front page - I'm very, very impressed with the high ISO performance of the D300. I've done some comparisons between the D200 and the D300, with the same lens and identical settings, and the difference is SHOCKING. I'll be making it a front-page post soon.

You'll have to post a review of the 24-70. I shoot with the 17-55 and sometimes think I need a little longer lens.

I'll definitely try! I have SO much stuff to review...AUGH! I need more review team members. :D