View Full Version : Unboxing & First Impressions of the Samsung Q1 Ultra UMPC

Jason Dunn
01-04-2008, 09:00 AM
<embed width="425" height="355" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KtpCLfYS0Lo&amp;rel=1"></embed> <br /><br />I was sent a <a target="_blank" href="http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/type/type.do?group=computersperipherals&amp;type=ultramobilepc">Samsung Q1 Ultra UMPC</a> two days ago, and I quickly put together an unboxing and first impressions video. I got a few things wrong in the video - the slot on the top isn't a memory card slot at all! The model I was sent for review by Microsoft is missing the memory card slot, although apparently some models have it (which I think is idiotic - every laptop/mobile device should have a memory card slot of some sort). I'm off to CES tomorrow, but I'll try to get a video up showing actual use as soon as possible - my first impressed are mixed, I'll tell you that much. The hardware is nice looking, but it lacks the &quot;oomph&quot; needed for Windows Vista.

alese
01-04-2008, 01:35 PM
Nice unboxing, but I guess this should also be posted on PocketPCThoughts since in my mind UMPCs are replacing "Standard" PocketPCs and/or PDAs.

I for one have allways wanted to have "real" PC in my pocket and none of my PocketPCs/Windows Mobile devices could really do all that I wanted.
A month ago I bought a Raon Digital Everun UMPC and while it's bigger than "normal" PDAs it's still small, quite a bit smaller than Samsung. It's not fast, and it can't run Vista, but it runs XP well and I can do much more with it than I ever could with PocketPC.

Jason Dunn
01-04-2008, 04:23 PM
Nice unboxing, but I guess this should also be posted on PocketPCThoughts since in my mind UMPCs are replacing "Standard" PocketPCs and/or PDAs.

Nah. Pocket PC Thoughts and Smartphone Thoughts have, and always will, focus on Windows Mobile devices. This runs Vista, so it's more at home here at Digital Home Thoughts...until I launch a site dealing with UMPCs or laptops. :D

mikehilton
01-04-2008, 06:09 PM
I have been using a Q1 Ultra since July. It did come with Vista and as much as I tried (even turning off indexing, Aero, etc) it was just too much of a stretch for the hardware (which I love from a size and feel perspective). So I moved to XP and it has been a fantastic experience. I use it every day (sometimes as my main machine). It is running Office 2007 Ultimate including Groove (yes that resource hog).

I also have Foldershare running all the time. So the killer app has been using it as a OneNote companion. I have the extended battery which gives me a "real world" 4.5 to 5 hours of battery (so basically the whole day). I can take notes in a meeting with OneNote and then when I get back to my office or home machine they are all sync'ed and available locally thanks to Foldershare.

It is also a killer media companion. The system will play 1000Kbps WMV ripped DVDs with no problem as well as direct copied content from Media Centre (i.e. dvr-ms). With the beautiful 7in, 1024x768 screen it looks great. With the extended battery I have watched 4+ hours of video on flights to NY and Toronto and still had battery left. It has a great (although scarily flimsy) kick stand which positions the screen just right. Mine has the 60 GB drive so with all of my files and programs installed I still have about 15 to 20GB of space for media.

With Streets and Trips 2008 and a bluetooth GPS it is a great GPS device, big screen and touch screen.

I can't say enough. I would love to have more power (i.e. dual core) but would not want any less battery life. I would also like to be able to run Vista. However, for now this compromise is acceptable.

A couple of other comments. The built in keyboard is not intended to write a novel, so don't try. I only use it for passwords and simple entry while web browsing. I wish my model came with the fingerprint reader, that would eliminate about half of my keypad use (I bought an early model, but if you buy one don't comprimise and go with the 40GB drive, you want the extra HDD). I also bought a Freedom Universal BT Keyboard, it is small and very reliable and just what is needed when you really need to write out a long email, otherwise Tablet mode works well.

Finally the dual cameras. The front facing with the dual microphones is an excellent video conference combination and one of my most reliable. I run Communicator 2007 for work and Skype and Live Messenger for personal on the device. They all work flawlessly. In fact it is one of the best camera/mic setups I have across 4 machines. However, the rear facing 1.3MP camera is garbage, more of a novelty so I forget it is even there. So don't get too excited about that one.

I hope this helps you put a more positive spin on your experience with the Q1 Ultra.

MJH

stlbud
06-29-2008, 01:42 PM
This runs Vista, so it's more at home here at Digital Home Thoughts...until I launch a site dealing with UMPCs or laptops. :D

Please do. After years of Pocket PCs, I'm migrating to UMPC. As I've said elsewhere, the *' Thoughts crowd seem to be devoted fans who offer their talents and experiences freely. UMPC users would benefit greatly over what is currently available.

I've collected a fairly good list of other sites that are supporting UMPC/Origami. If you want to see the competition, I'll be happy to send it to you.

Thank you,