View Full Version : Nero 8 Issues All Worked Out

Jason Dunn
11-19-2007, 09:41 PM
When I posted about my negative experience with the installer for Nero 8 (http://www.digitalmediathoughts.com/articles.php?action=expand,12787) recently, the people at Nero were understandably quite concerned with the poor user experience I had. We had a conference call a couple of days later (that's a great sign when the company wants to talk about problems), and they listened to me explain the problems in detail and gave me some trouble-shooting tips to try. When I installed Nero 8, the installer should have detected that Nero 7 was installed - it didn't, and that may have been the root of some of the problems.

The language prompt issue was a mystery to them, and it turns out that the updater installing every Nero program was a known issue - but one they hadn't prioritized for fixing because there wasn't actually an update available. There's a bug in the update process that indicated there was an update when there really wasn't. The only way a customer would run into my scenario is if they manually checked for updates - which is something your average geek will do, but the average user will likely not do. As a test, I installed Nero 8 on a different computer, and didn't run into the language prompt issue - so there's something unique about my media editing computer that's causing that error. I managed to fix the error by installing another language - I picked French - but kept it toggled on English. No more error popping up.

Now all my glitches are fixed and I'm happily using Nero 8. I don't have time to publish a full review of the product, but now that I've worked past the install issues I can say that I enjoy the features of the product. I would have preferred to have seen more improvements show up in Nero Recode (namely, easy to use device presets for DVD ripping), but the rest of the applications I looked at were improved. I'm particularly impressed with the number of file types that Nero Showtime can handle - it's a great all-around media player. If you've got Nero 7, I don't see any compelling reason to upgrade, unless something on the feature list (http://www.nero.com/enu/nero8-introduction.html) really gets your interest. If you're using something older than Nero 7, the improvements in the past two versions make for a compelling upgrade case.

elephantman5
11-20-2007, 02:33 AM
Nero used to be great. But they've done the same thing as every other prog. I mean, I got Cs2 for Adobe. Then they have cs3 soon after. Now within a year they'll have cs4.
Every prog needs to be efficient without all the bull.

michaelsee
01-29-2008, 08:03 AM
Using regedit go to "HKLM/Software/Nero/Shared" and look for "FamilyLanguage" change the value from "ENU" to "ENG".