View Full Version : Apple Aiming for TV Breakthrough

Jeremy Charette
03-15-2007, 04:00 PM
"Lost in all the hoopla over the iPhone at Macworld was Apple TV, sort of a cross between a Mac Mini, a wireless router, and a set-top box, which couch potatoes can use to connect a big-screen television with a Mac or PC. First introduced last September, Apple TV will hit stores later than CEO Steve Jobs said it would at the recent Macworld. But its imminent arrival, possibly as early as this week, has the usual cadre of analysts and Macheads debating its impact on the "vast wasteland" known as television. Apple's intentions seem clear: It wants to be the company that finally figures out how to tie the television to the Internet and make video downloads as common as music downloads."

http://www.digitalmediathoughts.com/images/5111.jpg

I think Apple has a shot at taking a small chunk out of the TV market, but it won't be enough to change the way the consumers get their television. There just isn't enough content available to get people to switch from cable or satellite service. In addition, they won't offer much in the way of HD content, which is becoming increasingly important to the average consumer as they look for ways to show off that fancy expensive new flat panel tv. It'll be an interesting year, if nothing else.

Tim Williamson
03-15-2007, 11:55 PM
The only thing I watch on TV now is network news (and the occasional Mythbusters, Future Weapons, etc.) other than that there are super secret places on the intArweb to get TV shows, so my main TV watching is done on my PC right now.

I'll be moving soon and will hopefully purchase an Xbox 360 (or version 2 if it's out) and just watch downloaded TV in my living room. So at least for me, I could see how AppleTV would make sense.

But the price point needs to be right. Something that costs less than cable per month, but it would allow you to watch any show on demand would be AWESOME!