View Full Version : EMI Pondering DRM-free Music with MP3s

Jason Dunn
02-10-2007, 01:20 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.suntimes.com/technology/250463,emi020907.article' target='_blank'>http://www.suntimes.com/technology/250463,emi020907.article</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Music company EMI Group PLC -- home of The Rolling Stones and Coldplay -- has been talking with online retailers about possibly selling its entire digital music catalog in MP3 format without copy protection, the Wall Street Journal reported Friday, citing numerous people familiar with the matter. The MP3 format, which can be freely copied and played on virtually any device, would allow consumers to play music purchased from any online store on any digital music device...According to the people familiar with the matter, London-based EMI asked the retailers to submit proposals by Thursday telling the company what size advance payments they would offer in exchange for the right to sell EMI's music as MP3s, the Journal reported."</i><br /><br />Very interesting news, and I hope this puts <a href="http://www.digitalmediathoughts.com/index.php?topic_id=11741">Steve Jobs' comments</a> into perspective - he may have been among the first to make public comments about DRM-free music, but there were already behind-the-scenes meetings taking place to take steps forward. Don't get me wrong - it's great that Steve Jobs came out and said what he did and hopefully it will put pressure on the music companies - but it's completely inaccurate to give him credit for starting this movement (which is something the fanboys seem to be doing a lot of lately). Will 2007 be the year of DRM free music being sold? I sure hope so. I also hope the MP3s are 256 kbps in quality, and not some 128 kbps junk that will make me keep only buying CDs.

Phronetix
02-10-2007, 04:47 AM
I think that if you read the letter, it is pretty obvious that Jobs was addressing the public and nobody else. My sense upon reading it is that he was aiming to clear up some common misconceptions that people had about DRM, and explaining Apple's and his view on its raison d'être. It lacked the colorful language and idealistic underpinnings of a manifesto, even if it sent a clear message to the music companies. The fanboys who give us a bad name swoon whenever the Steve says anything, and generally have opinions that aren't worth considering. And judging by the response the essay has gotten, I would say that what he has to say matter to the industry.

Of course he knew what some (maybe only one) of the music companies were up to behind the scenes, but he doesn't appear to be trying to elicit any other response other than informing. And information can be dangerous. Just look at the response from the big four's representatives.

As for his role in what EMI has announced, how can you be sure that Steve Jobs did not play a role in the behind the scenes meetings? Would it not be prudent to let Job into this loop, to see if you have his support. If not, then EMI had already know that Jobs would be supportive, suggesting that Jobs has communicated his support of DRM free music before.

I also hope the MP3s are 256 kbps in quality, and not some 128 kbps junk that will make me keep only buying CDs.

I could not agree more wholeheartedly. I keep badgering Apple about this with their iTMS music. My purchases there have grounded to a halt because of the 128kbps aac files they sell, after I bought speakers that could demonstrate a difference. Brutal. Unacceptible.

ctmagnus
02-10-2007, 07:59 AM
My purchases there have grounded to a halt...

Dòh! :wink:

Edit: Anyone else having punction issues with Firefox in VistaÉ

Phronetix
02-10-2007, 08:44 AM
My purchases there have grounded to a halt...

Dòh! :wink:

Yep. Although I believe I will be feeling a little spendthrift soon. (orrysay on the atelay aymentpay) :wink:

David Horn
02-10-2007, 02:16 PM
I also hope the MP3s are 256 kbps in quality, and not some 128 kbps junk that will make me keep only buying CDs.

I have a feeling this is exactly why songs are sold in 128kbps quality.