View Full Version : SuperBowl Ads: Favorites and Flops?

Suhit Gupta
02-05-2007, 12:39 AM
The SuperBowl XLI is on and therefore the super-expensive ads. Let's open up a thread on your favorite ads. It is 3 minutes into the first quarter and so far, there have been a couple of really funny ads already.

1) Bud Light Rock Paper Scissors ad
2) Doritos accidents ad
3) Snickers men kissing ad
4) Coca Cola GTA ad

But there have also been some big flops, IMHO, and honestly, these ads cost a LOT of money so it really is worth mentioning them as well -

1) Both Sierra Mist ads
2) Salesgenie.com ad
3) Garmin ad

Thoughts on your favorites and flops?

Chris Gohlke
02-05-2007, 02:37 AM
It is not worth watching an entire pro football game just to see the cool ads, considering I'll be able to watch them on-line.

Suhit Gupta
02-05-2007, 02:53 AM
C'mon, that's really not true. And this is a pretty good game. It is interesting to see how the rain affects the players and the game in general.

Suhit

Suhit Gupta
02-05-2007, 02:54 AM
BTW, I think that Coke and Bud Light are doing a really good job in general with their ads.

Suhit

Jason Dunn
02-05-2007, 03:46 AM
As far as I'm concerned, the only sport worth watching was on last night (http://67.ufc.com) (Saturday night). ;-)

Chris Gohlke
02-05-2007, 04:19 AM
The only usually watch one football game a year UF (my alma mater) vs FSU (the town where I live). This year I made an exception and watch two games since UF also was in the national championship.

Jerry Raia
02-05-2007, 04:27 AM
I counted at least 3 Canon 1D's being held up taking pics at the end of the game. Well I thought it was interesting. :mrgreen:

aroma
02-05-2007, 04:55 AM
I thought the commercials where 99% crap. The worst year so far IMO. I did love the beard comb-over in the Sierra Mist commercial, though that was the only part about that commercial I liked. My favorate was probably the snickers commercial. GoDaddy.com really needs to come up with some new matterial.

Jerry Raia
02-05-2007, 05:31 AM
I did like the one with the hitchhiker with the axe.

Suhit Gupta
02-05-2007, 08:46 AM
I completely agree on the GoDaddy assessment. The ad was repetitive and lame.

And yes, this year really did seem to be a low in ad quality. :(

Suhit

aroma
02-05-2007, 03:20 PM
I did like the one with the hitchhiker with the axe.
I forgot about the hitchhiker add. I liked the ending when they came across the second hitchiker with bear... and the Axe guys says "but he's got a chainsaw!"

Tim Williamson
02-05-2007, 11:30 PM
I think your expectations are too high for these commercials. Here's my top 5:

1. Coca-Cola GTA (I enjoyed the irony)
2. Doritos Car Crash (simple yet I LOL'd)
3. Garmin ("Evil Maposaurus prepare to meet your doom!")
4. GM Robot (I was actually feeling sorry for the poor robot)
5. Bud Light Hitchhikers

Worst commercials:

1. Sales Genie (yawn)
2. PRIDE (yay, another black versus white sports movie :roll: )
3. Van Heusen (boring)
4. Chevy HHR (can't stand the car and can't stand that commercial)
5. Flomax

Honorable Mention:

1. Meet the Robinsons (the movie doesn't interest me, but the part at the end where the T-Rex says "I have a big head, and little arms" was hilarious)
2. Coca-Cola Factory (that was pretty imaginative and if I were a kid I'd wonder if all that was happening everytime I went to get a soda)

sojourner753
02-06-2007, 01:04 PM
Many of the commercials weren't even new. The Coke GTA and the Coke factory I've seen before. The factory one is probably about a year old.

There some other repeats too. I missed the Garmin one but I heard it was funny. I actually think the Dorito amatuer ad was at the top of the list.

Tim Williamson
02-06-2007, 08:27 PM
If you guys missed any commercials (I didn't even watch the Super Bowl) head over to www.youtube/superbowl for a listing of all of them.