View Full Version : Vista Codec issue?

dr_doak
02-02-2007, 03:56 AM
I have some Windows Media Video/Audio V7 encoded video files that play just fine on my primary XPsp2 computer in WMP11. For whatever reason though, they refuse to play in Vista's WMP11... To make it more frustrating, there are videos online that will play in IE7 using the WMP plugin using the same format. So, it'll play them online in a browser, but not offline in the full player.

I downloaded Media Player Classic 6.4 and that seems to have almost no problem with the files in Vista (I have the move the slider a mm or two to get it to actually start playing the file).

One of the videos that won't play is Evanescence - Call me when you're sober. I streamed it off their site over the MMS protocol awhile ago while I was playing around with SDP. It will play with the browser plugin and MPC but not WMP. The file on my system claims to be DRM free.

I'm trying a few of the other WMV files I have and here's what they did:
WM MPEG-4 Video V3 worked
WMV9 worked
WMV8 worked
WMV7 worked.... OK, so that one worked...

Thoughts?

Jason Dunn
02-02-2007, 07:02 AM
Hrm. v7 encoded videos eh? That goes back a ways...you'd like to THINK that Microsoft would maintain the stability and integrity of the WMV platform, but that's not always the case. Can you perhaps upload the file or something so I can see if it plays on my Vista system? If it's purely a codec issue, this is a deep problem, and not one I'd know how to solve - you'd almost need to get in touch with someone on the WMC codec team...