View Full Version : Rebuilding Library in Windows Media Player 11

sojourner753
12-25-2006, 12:15 AM
I have a situation where WMP11 is showing the wrong album art for an album. When I look at the album in MediaMonkey it has the correct one.

The worst part is that WMP also syncs the wrong art to my ZenM.

My question is this: Does anyone know how to force WMP to rebuild its library cache?

I tried removing the library from its monitored directory list but that didn't work. It still had everything listed. Then I re-added it and nothng changed.

thanks

sojourner753
01-01-2007, 08:58 PM
Just an update.

I found this directory on my computer:
C:\Documents and Settings\myuserid\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Media Player

I shutdown WMP11 and deleted all of the WMDB files from the above directory. Then restarted WMP11. WMP11 didn't display any albums in my library. I went into options and made sure that only my Music Library was in the monitored folders list.

WMP11 then rescanned my entire directory. When it was done, it still showed the wrong album art for one album. Don't know where the art is coming from though.

Jason Dunn
01-01-2007, 10:40 PM
Turn on hidden files and folders, and you'll see the JPEGs that are there. It could be that MediaMonkey is showing you the embedded album art, but WMP is showing you the hidden Folder.jpg file. There are some MediaMonkey scripts that will clean up album art, save album art from tag to file, etc.

sojourner753
01-02-2007, 12:30 AM
Thanks for the reply Jason,

I already had hidden files turned on. Also, a few weeks ago, I searched through my entire library and remove all graphics files including jpg, gif, and bmp.

The only files in my music directory are MP3s with embedded art.

EDIT: Okay this is strange. As I mentioned above, I always have "show hidden files" on in WinExplorer. However, I was browsing my music library using Resco explorer on my Pocket PC and I see several jpg files. Whats going on? :confused totally:

sojourner753
01-03-2007, 01:25 PM
Okay,

Just to make it even stranger...

I just pulled my library into another WMP11 on a different computer. And thie album is showing the correct art.

The album info has got to be cached on the local machine somewhere.

Jason Dunn
01-05-2007, 09:34 PM
You also need to turn on SHOW SYSTEM FILES...sorry, I forgot to mention that part. It's a really, really stupid system Microsoft has.

sojourner753
01-06-2007, 02:41 AM
Thanks Jason,
I think that info has pumped new life into my investigation. I found another directory called:

C:\Documents and Settings\myuserid\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Media Player\Art Cache\LocalMLS

Which contained a lot of album art graphics. In fact most of them reoccurred several times. Sometimes right after each other. Their caching strategy can't be that efficient. Well the offending album cover wasn't there, as a matter of fact the correct one was there several times.

I'm going to clear this directory out and the one mentioned earlier to see if it helps.

EDIT: That did the trick! Thanks for your help Jason. :way to go: You're right. Its a stupid system. :roll: