View Full Version : Adobe Photoshop CS3 Beta Available

Suhit Gupta
12-23-2006, 04:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/photoshopcs3/' target='_blank'>http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/photoshopcs3/</a><br /><br /></div><i>"For the first time ever, Adobe is delivering a widely available Photoshop CS3 beta to enable customers to more easily transition to the latest hardware platforms, particularly Apple's new Intel based systems. The beta is available as a Universal Binary for the Macintosh platform as well for Microsoft Windows XP and Windows Vista computers, with the final shipping release of Adobe Photoshop CS3 planned for spring 2007. Adobe has a long-standing commitment to the Mac community and this release is Adobe's way of delivering native performance on Intel based systems many months earlier than we otherwise could have done. We have no doubt, however, that all of our customers will enjoy exploring the new Photoshop CS3 beta and seeing some of the new features we have in store. The full application is not yet complete; but, many of the additions to the product are fully implemented and ready for you to try and discuss."</i><br /><br />Wow, it feels like I just got CS2 and CS3 is already almost out. :) You will need to obtain a serial number for the beta and it looks like it is available only to those who are ex-Adobe Photoshop software users. There is a lot more information on the link above to click away.

Lee Yuan Sheng
12-24-2006, 12:30 AM
*sigh* Not again. Not again. >.&lt;

cameron
12-28-2006, 06:28 PM
My PC cratered on my earlier this month - so I bit the bullet and went with a new Mac Pro.

Given that I need to buy a new license for Photoshop for a Mac (not an upgrade mind you - but a full license), I figured I'd just install the beta and wait to buy until the final version comes out.

A few thoughts.

1. The new quick selection tool is pretty good - I still need to play around with it - but it works pretty well.
2. Smart filters are cool in theory, unfortunately I don't use any of the filters that can be used as smart filters.
3. I have some PSDs that were created in PS2 that PS3 won't open.
4. A decent number of my purchased plug-ins (Genuine Fractals, Nik Sharpener, Neat Image) don't work in the Universal Binary version of PS# (neither the Mac version nor the Windows versions of the plug-ins). I have to run PS3 in Rosetta (the on-the-fly PowerPC emulator) in order to use these plug-ins. Unfortunately, running in Rosetta makes PS3 pretty slow, so I run it natively when I don't need the plug-ins.

Based on my experiences so far, if I didn't have to upgrade to PS3, I probably wouldn't pay to upgrade from PS2.