View Full Version : My Xbox HD-DVD Drive Arrived

Jason Dunn
12-07-2006, 10:10 PM
http://www.digitalmediathoughts.com/images/xbox360-hddvd-drive.jpg

Woo-hoo! I've been waiting for this product to be released for quite some time now, so I was excited that it came so quickly. I'm about to race upstairs and hook it up - post any questions if you have them and I'll do my best to answer them.

Chris Gohlke
12-07-2006, 10:37 PM
Be interested in getting your thoughts. I've been on edge of buying a 360 and the HD drive out of frustration on trying to get a Wii.

Vincent Ferrari
12-07-2006, 11:28 PM
DROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

humayunl
12-07-2006, 11:29 PM
I have a question.... do you also plan to get a PS3 (or a BRD player) or did you make your decision are have decided to go with HD-DVD instead of BRD?

I am asking because i'm sitting on the fence but getting impatient!

Jason Dunn
12-07-2006, 11:50 PM
I have a question.... do you also plan to get a PS3 (or a BRD player) or did you make your decision are have decided to go with HD-DVD instead of BRD?

Nah, I've decided to go HD-DVD. I believe Blueray will fail in the long run, and HD-DVD will be the standard. But I don't expect to be buying lots of HD-DVDs...they're still too expensive for my taste. But maybe once I plug this in and see the difference I'll change my mind... ;-)

humayunl
12-07-2006, 11:58 PM
Nah, I've decided to go HD-DVD. I believe Blueray will fail in the long run, and HD-DVD will be the standard. But I don't expect to be buying lots of HD-DVDs...they're still too expensive for my taste. But maybe once I plug this in and see the difference I'll change my mind... ;-)

Deep down inside I agree.... but I don't know why I am still waiting for the PS3 (and especially why, i bought two BRD movies yesterday in anticipation of the PS3) hehe.

Actually, i got a great deal. Tower recods (in downtown chicago) is closing and I got BRD movies for 8 bucks each.

Jason Dunn
12-08-2006, 12:32 AM
Deep down inside I agree.... but I don't know why I am still waiting for the PS3 (and especially why, i bought two BRD movies yesterday in anticipation of the PS3) hehe.

Fight the hype! The PS3 isn't all that impressive. ;-)

Actually, i got a great deal. Tower recods (in downtown chicago) is closing and I got BRD movies for 8 bucks each.

I think in about 36 months, there will be a lot of "fire sale" on BluRay movies. ;-)

Felix Torres
12-08-2006, 02:18 AM
Does it upscale regular DVD's to 720p at all?

Yes, if you use the VGA cable.
It will upscale to the native resolution of most every HD display out there.

Darius Wey
12-08-2006, 03:11 AM
Nice! I've spoken to a couple of people who already have the Xbox 360 HD DVD and they think it's fantastic. Personally, I'm waiting for a price drop, though I definitely plan on picking one up.

jeffd
12-08-2006, 03:16 AM
<- isnt getting 360 till it supports 1680x1050... damn freaking behind the curve companies. ^^

Felix Torres
12-08-2006, 04:40 AM
Anybody interested in seeing how HD-DVD looks might want to d/l a few of these:
http://www.drfoster.f2s.com/trailers_hd-dvd.shtml

They'll play on the Xbox quite nicely off USB mass-storage.
The best-looking are the usual suspects; Riddick, Serenity, King King.

Wish they had a 1080p version of the trailer for 300.
It is scary enough at 720 off XBL...

Phronetix
12-09-2006, 05:11 PM
I'm confused about some of the technical issues regarding release of movies in the HD-DVD format.

What resolution were these movies filmed in? I was under the impression most studios still used analog to record video. So, how does one get a high def digital file from the analog? Is it simply a matter of making the pixels smaller relative to the analog picture? And if a movie is released in standard format, from where does the HD version get made?

Dennis, who looked but couldn't find HDdigitalmediathoughts.com ;-)

Jason Dunn
12-10-2006, 03:45 AM
What resolution were these movies filmed in? I was under the impression most studios still used analog to record video. So, how does one get a high def digital file from the analog?

I'm no expert, but film, real film, is very high resolution - kind of like how 35mm film is about 12 megapixels, but people shooting medium format 4 x 6 still have more resolution than most cameras...somewhere on the order of 35 megapixels I think. Analog doesn't mean low resolution, though it's a common misconception. I have no clue what full sized film is in resolution, but there's also a lot of digital cameras out now where the directors film in HD. If you look at films in a theatre, they're higher resolution than a DVD, that's for sure. Way more detail, and on a screen 100x bigger than most TV sets.

And if a movie is released in standard format, from where does the HD version get made?

When a movie is filmed and is transferred to DVD, it's definitely a down-sample. So I think even old movies can look good in HD-DVD. I'm looking forward to seeing some HD-DVD movies from older movies, just to see how good they can be.

I'm very vague on this whole issue because I just don't know enough technical details. :-)

Kicks
12-14-2006, 12:33 AM
I have the HD-DVD addon as well and I love it so far. The "menu's" seem a tad slow sometimes, but the picture quality is quite nice and that's running at the 720p vga equivalent res with the vga cable. I can't wait until Disney starts to support HD-DVD (no official time frame yet due to aggressive apple/disney blu-ray support).

I have not yet tried to hookup my hd-dvd addon to my laptop in vista or xp yet :)