View Full Version : NBA In Talks To Sell Stake In Its Digital Media Properties

Suhit Gupta
11-30-2006, 08:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.paidcontent.org/entry/nba-in-talks-to-sell-stake-in-its-digital-media-properties/#When:00:27:00Z' target='_blank'>http://www.paidcontent.org/entry/nba-in-talks-to-sell-stake-in-its-digital-media-properties/#When:00:27:00Z</a><br /><br /></div><i>"So said NBA Commissioner David Stern at the Reuters Media Summit in New York today: it is exploring selling a stake in its digital assets, which include its cable TV network (NBA TV) and its website (NBA.com), to a media company, though he did not say with which companies. Time Warner owns a 2 percent stake in NBA TV, and the league has TV deals with Time Warner and Disney. “We are thinking about expanding the ownership base of our digital assets to include a media company. We anticipate a new deal will make both NBA TV and NBA.com more robust. We have made it clear that for us a discussion of all of our assets on a global scale is available.” In lay terms, it means they are still scouting...so for now, vaporware."</i><br /><br />I used to be a huge NBA fan up until the New York Knicks began to suck so badly. Now all I do is just keep up with the scores. Anyways, whether it was a few years ago, or now, I often find myself away from a TV when I want to watch an NBA game. This news story happened to jog my memory about a question I have always had, and I figured I could ask it here. Why is it that games from the 4 major professional sports - basketball, baseball, football and hockey (in the US at least) - aren't broadcasted on the internet? Or perhaps they are and I just don't know where?

Damion Chaplin
11-30-2006, 08:32 PM
Can't speak for the other sports, but most if not all of Major League Baseball games are available from mlb.com, including boring post-season games...

Janak Parekh
12-01-2006, 01:46 AM
including boring post-season games...
Especially this year. :| Although, postseason games are essentially locked out in the US, and are only watchable on MLB.TV outside of American markets, I thought?

(And, it's for a fee. I did subscribe last regular season to watch some out-of-market games. Pretty cool; the quality is decent.)

--janak

Damion Chaplin
12-01-2006, 03:00 PM
Although, postseason games are essentially locked out in the US, and are only watchable on MLB.TV outside of American markets, I thought?

I couldn't actually tell you as I've never actually watched any of the games online. With an HD DVR and TV, why bother?

Janak Parekh
12-02-2006, 06:11 AM
I couldn't actually tell you as I've never actually watched any of the games online. With an HD DVR and TV, why bother?
If I'm at the office working late and want to take a little break and watch. ;) And I do remember trying, and failing for postseason action.

--janak

Suhit Gupta
12-02-2006, 07:13 AM
If I'm at the office working late and want to take a little break and watch. ;) And I do remember trying, and failing for postseason action.

--janak
Exactly. That is exactly why I asked the question. :)

Suhit

firedog
12-08-2006, 11:17 PM
Hi-

MLB, and NBA do broadcast games on the net. Some restrictions on local team broadcasts apply. The NFL also broadcasts games, but b/c of Blackout and licensing restrictions, generally games are only freely available outside the US. You could probably get them with a non US proxy.

Subscriptions to all of the above live TV broadcasts on the net are pricey.