View Full Version : 9/11...Five Years Later

Jason Dunn
09-11-2006, 03:35 PM
They say every generation has an event that they'll always remember, and unfortunately it's usually a tragic one. 9/11 is it for me. I can still remember waking to the news on the radio, not believing what I was hearing, and rushing into my living room to turn on the TV. I called Ashley and told her to turn on the TV, and we both sat on the phone in shocked silence. There were really no words to describe what we were seeing.

I have vague memories of other tragic events that happened when I was much younger (Space shuttle exploding, Princess Diana's accident) but this one is deeply burned into my mind because of the level of destruction, and simply how brutal it was.

The world is in sorry shape right now, I think in many ways much worse than it was in 2001. It's rather depressing when you think about it...I wonder when things will get better? :(

Damion Chaplin
09-11-2006, 06:04 PM
The world is in sorry shape right now, I think in many ways much worse than it was in 2001. It's rather depressing when you think about it...I wonder when things will get better? :(

My wife and I wonder about this on a daily basis. All I can say is that things start getting better at the base level: us. Leading by positive example is about all I feel I can do to make at least my little bubble a better place. I figure if enough people follow my example, we can expand the bubble a little bigger a little bit at a time. One day we may even reach that 'better' place we're hoping for.

When you look at the vast history of the planet, or even the large history of the human race (compared to recorded history), it's obvious our society (humanity) is still in its infancy. Baby steps are therefore needed.

It starts with you and me.

Jeremy Charette
09-13-2006, 05:35 AM
Last night I looked out my window towards Manhattan. Something new appeared in the skyline. Two blinding beams of light shining brightly all the way into the cosmos, where those two buildings once stood. Powerful. I feel fortunate to live here, and be able to see that sight. I drive by Ground Zero nearly every day, and it's a constant reminder that freedom is anything but free.

http://ci.columbia.edu/w0521/web/images/w0521_1m_1_2_0_1.jpg

Did I mention I have a window view of the Manhattan skyline? :D