View Full Version : Global Plasma Sales Jump 95%

Jason Dunn
08-25-2006, 05:07 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=technologyNews&storyid=2006-08-25T084917Z_01_SEO328170_RTRUKOC_0_US-PDP.xml&src=rss' target='_blank'>http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=technologyNews&storyid=2006-08-25T084917Z_01_SEO328170_RTRUKOC_0_US-PDP.xml&src=rss</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Global sales of plasma televisions surged 95 percent in the April-June quarter from a year earlier to 2.2 million units, bolstered by robust sales at Japan's Matsu****a Electric Industrial Co., U.S. research firm DisplaySearch said. Plasma display panel (PDP) TVs took a 5 percent share of the worldwide TV market in the second quarter in unit terms, up from 4 percent in the first, the company said in a report dated August 24. Demand for flat-screen TVs, such as PDP TVs and liquid crystal display (LCD) TVs, is surging as falling prices lure consumers who want to trade in bulky picture tubes for large, sleek televisions. On a revenue basis, PDP TV sales grew 57 percent from a year earlier as price declines outpaced increases in the average size of televisions sold, DisplaySearch said."</i><br /><br />It's interesting, I was out TV shopping with my mother-in-law last week, and we looked at plasmas, LCD TVs, and DLP TVs. In the sweet spot between size and price, DLPs were where she was leaning. For me, it always comes down to this: unless you have a room or wall designed for all your TV components (DVD player, amp, Xbox, digital cable tuner, etc.), your TV is likely going to end up on a stand. And if it's on a stand, the extra few inches of a DLP won't matter.

Felix Torres
08-25-2006, 05:17 PM
I hear you. ;-)
Things is the Japanese and euro markets are buying on form-factor not on bang for the buck, which is where MDs shine.

I liked the last paragraph best:

"LCD TV sales jumped 135 percent in the second quarter to 9.4 million units, accounting for 22 percent of the global TV market in unit terms, DisplaySearch said earlier this week."

The PDP market is growing at a healthy clip but the LCD market is ourunning it by 50% and its already 5 times larger.

All on schedule.

The MicroDisplay rear projectors seem to be growing at a nice clip, too.
Things should get really interesting if CRT makers are truly going to bow out of the US market next January.

Jason Dunn
08-25-2006, 05:19 PM
Bring on SED I say, bring it on!! :D

Felix Torres
08-25-2006, 06:07 PM
Bring on SED I say, bring it on!! :D

An optimist!
You expect to live *that* long? :twisted:

leslietroyer
08-28-2006, 01:43 PM
my "problem" with DLP's is not the thickness or thinness it is the high cost of the bulb every three years. Is that part going to be there 7 years from now when I replace the bulb for the second time???

Les

Jason Dunn
08-28-2006, 06:33 PM
Is that part going to be there 7 years from now when I replace the bulb for the second time???

A very interesting question. I guess my opinion might change if/when I have trouble finding a replacement bulb. ;-)

Jason Eaton
08-29-2006, 12:47 PM
Now another question might be what will TV look like in 7 years... would you even *want* that tv still? Think of it as a built in reason to upgrade. :wink: