View Full Version : Nike+iPod Sport Kit: Gold or Gimmick?

Damion Chaplin
08-01-2006, 03:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/34579/252176.html' target='_blank'>http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/34579/252176.html</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Music, physical movement, technology and being cool have long gone hand in hand. Now, two iconic brands, Apple Computer and Nike, are collaborating on a new system of gizmos that take exercising and digital-music players to a new level. The Nike+iPod Sport Kit allows runners and walkers to listen to songs and to record, store and share information (such as speed, distance covered and calories burned) with others about their exercise sessions. The system also "talks" to runners in real time, providing information as they jog along. The $29 kit consists of two gadgets -- a receiver that plugs into an iPod Nano and a sensor that sits inside the inner sole of specially made Nike shoes and transmits data to the receiver wirelessly. Buyers also get software to download the running data to a special website where the information can be stored and tracked over time and shared with other runners. Members of Wharton's marketing department say it's a winning combination that will bolster each company's image and open the door to other co-branding opportunities. But they disagree as to whether the joint effort will actually sell more Nanos and Nike shoes."</i><br /><br />Another great editorial by eCousticts.com, this time analyzing the Nike+iPod Sport Kit and whether it will actually increase Nano or Nike sales. In general, they're saying no, it's just another accessory. In fact, neither Nike nor Apple will be promoting the Sport Kit - they'll both be relying on word-of-mouth and 'market buzz'. Personally, I think the price is so low they shouldn't have to worry about promotion, unless Nike overestimated how many would sell and manufacturered a million already. Just merchandise it next to Nike shoes and next to the Nano and enough people will buy it. It's so cheap (compared to a $30 nano jacket) that I think consumers will perceive great value in it. What do you think? Have you bought one? Know anyone how has?

ale_ers
08-01-2006, 06:54 PM
I agree the price is right, if you already have the shoes and the iPod, that it should be a winner.

From what I have heard, the accuracy is not that great, however I think this is more for the casual runner.

Garmin has done a great job catering to the more serious crowd, offering many more exercise related options. They offer a standalone option that is not dependant on Nike Shoes (although many have found a workaround) or the Nano. However the Garmin Forerunner comes at a price (closer to $300 than $30).

Jon Childs
08-02-2006, 03:12 PM
Well I must admit it worked somewhat for me. Being a casual runner and needing a new pair of shoes I did spring for the kit and paid the extra 20 or so bucks for the Nike sneakers that work with it rather than the ones I would normally buy. I probably wouldn't buy a new nano just for it, since its price is above my impulse buy level, but they did get an extra $50 from me.