View Full Version : IPTV Coming Soon to a Living Room Near You

Chris Gohlke
07-21-2006, 04:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1990761,00.asp' target='_blank'>http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1990761,00.asp</a><br /><br /></div><i>"IP-based TV (IPTV) is starting to materialize in California. Backspace Communications, a company in San Luis Obispo, announced on Monday that they have licensed content with major television networks and are one step away from being able to service their first customer. When Backspace's package called Walled Garden launches in a few weeks, customers will have access to local NBC, CBS and FOX channels, in addition to channels owned by Discovery Networks, A&amp;E Television Networks, Lifetime Television, NBC Universal, and FOX Cable Networks. Backspace chief technology officer Joseph Lea says that the service is comparable to the cable television packages that are available in their area, but for a smaller monthly fee. Charter Communications, the cable provider in the area, has basic packages starting at $49 per month. Backspace's comparable 50-channel starter package will cost $29.95. "</i><br /><br />This looks like a pretty cool service. In addition to being cheaper than cable, they have TiVo and SlingBox functionality. I did question this statement:<br /><br /><i>"If anything, I think it's more reliable," Rogers said. "When we initially launched, our CTO made sure we got the proper encryption so it's a very reliable network."</i><br /><br />Choosing the right encryption method is not going to help you with network outages.

Felix Torres
07-21-2006, 04:35 PM
On the face of it, a non-sequitor.
But, I'm thinking he mispoke and meant encoding instead of encryption.
Proper protocols can caching can do wonders for straming over poor networks. Plus, they are probably paying a premium to ensure proper bandwidth for their VPN. :twisted:

What struck me about that bit of news is that this appears to be a relatively small startup operation that is going head to head with the two (re)emerging giants of US telecom plus the cablecos, all at once.
If we believed the doom-n-gloom scenarios of the "regulation now" advocates, this should be a hopeless endeavor and nobody would be even thinking of spending money in trying to penetrate this market.

The other thing that caught me eye was the promise of a full HD system to follow. Now *that* would get me to sign up tomorrow.