View Full Version : Akimbo, On Cusp Of Big Time?

Damion Chaplin
06-28-2006, 08:01 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://gigaom.com/2006/06/25/akimbo-on-cusp-of-big-time/' target='_blank'>http://gigaom.com/2006/06/25/akimbo-on-cusp-of-big-time/</a><br /><br /></div><i>"If venture investors are any indicator then both Akimbo and video on demand over broadband is about to hit big time. The San Mateo-based start-up has raised $15.5 million in series C financing from new investors, Cisco Systems, AT&amp;T and venture capital firm, Blueprint Ventures. Existing investors - Draper Fisher Jurvetson, Kleiner Perkins Caufield &amp; Byers, Sprout Group and Zone Ventures - also participated in this round of funding. Akimbo had raised $12 million its previous round of funding back in 2004... The tactical implications of this funding cannot be missed. Cisco, which led this round of financing owns Linksys, KISS and Scientific Atlanta, one of the major set-top box makers. This could mean Akimbo software could find its way into a myriad of devices."</i><br /><br />An interesting developement, I think. Does this mean my cable company will eventually start offering Scientific Atlanta DVRs with Akimbo on it? That would sure be interesting. This would be a good alternative to an upcoming Netflix box as this would give you current shows whereas Netflix would probably limit you to titles that are currently available on DVD.

Jason Dunn
06-29-2006, 03:41 AM
I think their pricing model is too expensive - $9.99 USD a month, for me, is too expensive for content that is largely amateur/free stuff I can get elsewhere online. To charge $10 a month, they need to give me stuff that would allow me to scale back my regular cable TV channels by $10.

sub_tex
06-29-2006, 08:02 PM
I have akimbo now. I bought it for my wife since all she ever watches on TV are the animal planet type shows and history/discovery channel.

All of which she can get on Akimbo now.

We are definitely in the minority though. We don't even have cable in the house. 8O