View Full Version : C|Net: The Residents' New Release a Blank Disc

Damion Chaplin
06-26-2006, 08:30 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://news.com.com/The+Residents+blank+out+on+new+release/2100-1025_3-6088028.html?tag=nefd.top' target='_blank'>http://news.com.com/The+Residents+blank+out+on+new+release/2100-1025_3-6088028.html?tag=nefd.top</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Cult band the Residents and the Cordless e-label have teamed up to create something that is either a unique multimedia experience that will link the physical, digital and mobile worlds--or is just plain wacky. On June 13, Cordless issued the Residents' "River of Crime"--a 1940s-style radio serial with a band-composed musical score--in a cardboard double-CD package with artwork that reinforces the band's trademark eyeball, all for $14.99. The catch? It contains two blank CDs so that the five episodes, which will be released sequentially during a 10-week period, can be burned after the last one becomes available. A unique code for each package allows users to unlock the subscription at riverofcrime.com... "It is an experiment, but we think it is something that is relatively easy to understand," Fiber says. The package comes with a red sticker on the cover warning that it contains blank media and telling buyers not to burn "River of Crime" until all episodes are retrieved. Inside the package is an instruction card. On the other hand, Fiber says, it may also be confusing. If the helpline rings off the hook, he says he'll know the effort was too ambitious."</i><br /><br />Wow, now there's an inventive distributing idea. The idea boils down to <i>"How can a digital-only release be (positioned) as a collectible? Residents fans are collectors, and this gives them something tangible to add to their collection." </i>I think it's a great idea, and people who are already fans of The Residents are undoubtedly going to jump on it. The real question is whether people (like me) who've never heard of The Residents will want to risk buying a blank CD which they then have to fill. I sure don't mind digital releases, but this seems like a lot of extra work. What do you think? Would you be interested in something like this? What if they were to release a blank HD-DVD that you were to then fill up with Lost Season 3? Would you be interested? Especially if you can get the entire season before anyone else does?

Jason Kravitz
06-29-2006, 10:13 PM
Ha that is great. The Residents are great. They have also traditionally been on the cutting edge of new trends and media. I first got into them in the early 90's when they released a multi-media CD-ROM (probably one of the first bands to do something like this) called "Freak Show" which was kind of like a twisted Myst style game with less puzzles, better music and more surreal graphics. They followed this up with "Bad Day on the Midway" which was also quite good especially for it's time.

Dunno if I'll rush out and buy this but I like the idea.