View Full Version : HDNET Finally Coming to Canada

Jason Dunn
06-19-2006, 07:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.digitalhomecanada.com/content/view/1324/51/' target='_blank'>http://www.digitalhomecanada.com/content/view/1324/51/</a><br /><br /></div><i>"In a move that can only be described as surprising the CRTC today announced in Broadcasting Public Notice CRTC 2006-75 that HDNET has been added to the list of eligible satellite services for distribution on a digital basis. Simply put the announcement means that after three years of battling, Canadian cable and satellite operators can now offer HDNet television programming to their customers. HDNet is an American programming service that offers high definition (HD) programming 24 hours per day, seven days per week, using 1080i format. HDNet currently offers several original series, including music and news programs. HDNet acquires programming from several sources, including Paramount, Warner and Sony. Live HDNet sports productions include NHL games, major league soccer games, horse racing, auto racing, boxing, football and basketball games. In the last three years, HDNet has produced and aired more HD television programming than all of the Canadian network and specialty channels combined so the station represents a tremendous increase in the amount of HD programming available in this country."</i><br /><br />This is GREAT news. Most people don't realize how HD-starved us Canadians are. I have HD through Shaw, my cable provider, and I get five total channels. It seems that at least half the time, the supposed "HD channels" aren't broadcasting in HD. The only channel that is HD 100% of the time is PBS HD, and that' only interesting for so long. Worse, we can't do over-the-air (OTA) HD like our neighbours to the south can. This is excellent news overall. Now if there was only a Media Center PC with Cable Card support for SHAW...

Janak Parekh
06-19-2006, 11:45 PM
This is GREAT news. Most people don't realize how HD-starved us Canadians are. I have HD through Shaw, my cable provider, and I get five total channels.
8O

We get at least 6 full-time HD channels alone (INHD, INHD2, HBO, StarzHD, UniversalHD, and WNETHD), and a bunch of mixed channels. 1 full-time HD channel is indeed terrible. :(

--janak

Darius Wey
06-20-2006, 06:50 AM
Wow, I had no idea how different the HD situation was over there. 8O

In Australia, HD content is mandatory. All free-to-air stations are required to have one or more HD channels (ABC, ABC2, Seven, Nine, Ten, SBS, SBSWN, and related EPGs). And then you have all the other cable/satellite content providers.

Felix Torres
06-20-2006, 01:11 PM
Hopefully the deal includes Cuban's second HD channel, HDMovie. They offer a decent mix of recent and vintage movies, all in HD. Good stuff.
On HDNet itself they are building a lineup of original content that is quite watchable, ranging from their WORLD REPORT news-magazine, to the techie-oriented INDUSTRY INSIDERS focusing on, of course, HDTV. And of course, there's the concerts...
All in high-quality 1080; no shortcuts taken on their end.
(Hogan's Heroes never looked better. ;-) )

Janak Parekh
06-20-2006, 03:23 PM
In Australia, HD content is mandatory. All free-to-air stations are required to have one or more HD channels (ABC, ABC2, Seven, Nine, Ten, SBS, SBSWN, and related EPGs).
Same here... although those air HD channels do not serve all HD content, which is why I didn't mention them. I'd guess maybe 40% of their programming is HD? Primarily the premium, hourlong shows (like CSI).

--janak

ale_ers
06-20-2006, 04:21 PM
It's funny how excited we get over new HD Channels. For some reason my cable company did not offer Discovery HD until 3 months ago. Ever since then, I have been glued to it. Also I am a big fan of the concerts on HDNet. It is nice to have it on in the background while reading.

Why do you Canadians not have free over the Air HD? Do you local stations just not offer it yet?

Jason Dunn
06-20-2006, 04:35 PM
Why do you Canadians not have free over the Air HD? Do you local stations just not offer it yet?

No clue. Although apparently there's one station in Vancouver that's doing OTA HD:

http://blogs.snapstream.com/2005/08/24/canada-goes-high-def/

klinux
06-20-2006, 08:45 PM
The Los Angeles market is well served by both OTA and paid services. Having the OTA is interesting as it allows you to see the effect of compression (OTA looks much better).