View Full Version : DISH Adds HD, Games, Internet

Suhit Gupta
06-19-2006, 04:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://music.consumerelectronicsnet.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=45509' target='_blank'>http://music.consumerelectronicsnet.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=45509</a><br /><br /></div><i>"EchoStar said it has added four new high-definition TV channels to its DISH Network satellite TV service and has signed an agreement to carry satellite carried high-speed Internet service from WildBlue. The new channels include HGTV HD, NFL Network HD, National Geographic Channel HD and Starz HDTV. With the additions, the service now provides a total of 29 HD channels, which the company pointed out is "the most national HD channels offered by any pay-TV provider in the United States." Customers who subscribe to DishHD Bronze or higher tier will have access to both HGTV HD and NFL Network HD. The National Geographic Channel HD will be available to DishHD Gold subscribers. Subscribers to DISH's Starz Movie Pack service or DishHD Platinum will have access to the Starz HDTV channel."</i><br /><br />Wow, that's pretty impressive. I just turned on my cable box and it turns out that EchoStar has almost doubled the number of HD channels than what Comcast offers (29 vs. 16). So I was curious as to how much more or less cable TV costs over dish? For 2 HDTV DVRs, internet access and the highest package for channels, most cable operators appear to be charging around $170-$200. Does anyone know how much a dish setup would cost for a similar setup?

dznylvr
06-19-2006, 04:45 PM
I have 4 boxes; 2 HDTV tuners, one with 2 tuners and a DVR built in, and 2 seperate DVR SD tuners. I run the HD Gold pack with HBO and Showtime and it runs about $140.00 per month.

ale_ers
06-20-2006, 04:27 PM
I have 4 boxes; 2 HDTV tuners, one with 2 tuners and a DVR built in, and 2 seperate DVR SD tuners. I run the HD Gold pack with HBO and Showtime and it runs about $140.00 per month.

About how many of the 29 HD Channels do you get?

I switched from Dish to my local cable company to get more HD, now it looks they they have more.

Suhit Gupta
06-21-2006, 12:19 AM
Yeah, good question. Overall though it looks like dish costs a little less and has a better lineup of channels. So what are the disadvantages?

Suhit