View Full Version : Google Releases Picasa for Linux

Jason Dunn
05-27-2006, 01:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://picasa.google.com/linux/' target='_blank'>http://picasa.google.com/linux/</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Picasa is a free software download from Google. Now available for Linux! Picasa is software that helps you instantly find, edit and share all the pictures on your computer. Every time you open Picasa, it automatically locates all your pictures (even ones you forgot you had) and sorts them into visual albums organized by date with folder names you will recognize. You can drag and drop to arrange your albums and make labels to create new groups. Picasa makes sure your pictures are always organized. Picasa also makes advanced editing simple by putting one-click fixes and powerful effects at your fingertips. And Picasa makes it a snap to share your pictures – you can email, print photos home, and even post pictures on your own blog."</i><br /><br />I don't know how many Linux users we have reading Digital Media Thoughts, but I figured this was worth posting on since I dig Picasa so much. The system specs read like gibberish to me: glibc 2.3 or greater, and a working X11 display system? I know what Gnome and KDE are, either of which is required for desktop integration. Camera detection requires kernel >= 2.6.13, hal >= 0.56, and gnome-volume-manager or equivalent. Ah, Linux. So complex! :lol:

ctmagnus
05-27-2006, 01:03 AM
I had to work on a Linux system yesterday. Thank god it was only a hardware swap. I managed to shut the machine down and get logged back in afterwards, but if I had to to anything else, I'd probably still be standing there on the phone with tech support.

TopDog
05-27-2006, 12:00 PM
This isn't really as complex as it sounds... if you have a modern easy-to-use distro like Ubuntu, SUSE, Mandriva, Fedora, etc. and you keep it up to date (just like Windows Update), you meet the requirements here without doing anything.

David Horn
05-27-2006, 04:01 PM
I love Picasa - it may be one of the best designed and implemented pieces of software I've ever used, and I'm completely stumped as to why Google never released anything with a similar interface.

Jason Dunn
05-27-2006, 04:11 PM
...and I'm completely stumped as to why Google never released anything with a similar interface.

Because Google just bought it, they didn't create it. ;-) Picasa was designed by some very talented UI designers - though maybe they'll start to have an impact on other Google desktop applications...