View Full Version : Using this hobby as a home business?

chelz2001
05-26-2006, 01:37 AM
Just wanted to know everyone's thoughts on using windows movie maker as a way to make some extra money. I would not to the filming, only editing it for people who would want it, all my family told me I should do it when I made of video of my son, they said it was great! Even better than our wedding video that a supposed professional made.
I love making the videos too! And I would be able to do it from home, that's the main reason I wouldn't also offer taping anything, I would just have them bring me what they want to be made into a slideshow and edited with movies along with music if they want, to go along with it. For those who don't have the time to do it, but would still love to have enjoyalbe home movies to watch.

Lee Yuan Sheng
05-26-2006, 02:27 AM
The thing is whether the subset of people who don't have time to edit simple home videos is large enough and willing to pay you a decent amount of money for your efforts. As it is the main problem (to me anyway) with your premise is that it's simply not adding or creating enough value in terms of spicing up content to give it the push for people to part decent money for. WMM is not that hard to use so you'll need someone who is either really lazy or has that little free time to want to pay for your services.

While part of me thinks that low-cost video editing for home videos could have a niche (greatly dependent on the target demographic's mentality; I know over here it's not possible), I think you at the very least need to upgrade the skills and tools at your disposal so you have that extra edge to tell clients that they're paying for something that's really worth it.

In any case, good luck with your endeavour! Let us know if you manage to make some extra money with it.

chelz2001
05-26-2006, 11:43 AM
use Nero afterwards to turn it into a DVD and then can burn it to our DVD burner. We got all of this software and hardware when we first found out we were pregnant, which was about 2 years ago, because now our son is almost one. I made a video of him for both sets of grandparents and both of his greatgrandparents. They loved it, and told me I should do it as a home business. I was just thinking about it, because the job I have now is home based, but I still have to go out more than I would like for it.