View Full Version : Changing RSS Setup

Jason Dunn
05-23-2006, 10:51 PM
We're changing our RSS setup here at Digital Media Thoughts, and I wanted to give everyone a heads up so they can let us know if they run into any problems. Historically, our RSS feed has been located at www.digitalmediathoughts.com/xml/index.php. We've now put a redirect on that file that will push your RSS reader to http://feeds.digitalmediathoughts.com/digitalmediathoughts and that in turn redirects to our Feedburner feed. Why Feedburner? It gives us a lot of really useful tools related to RSS content - the ability to track the number of people subscribing to the feed, track which items get clicked on, etc. If your already a subscriber to the Digital Media Thoughts RSS feed, everything should work exactly like it did before - if it's not, please post a comment and let me know what's not working.

brianchris
05-23-2006, 11:02 PM
WARNING: OT

Although I'm an experienced freelance network admin, I've never hopped on the RSS bandwagon. Its clear to me that its here to stay and I like to learn more about it. Where can I learn more about exactly what RSS is (I honestly don't know anything about it or grasp the concept of it at all), and how it would benefit me?

Thanks!

Jason Dunn
05-23-2006, 11:06 PM
brianchris, I was just like you about a year or so ago, I just didn't use or grasp RSS, but once you start, it's great.

Here's the Wikipedia definition:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSS_(protocol)

My advice? The best way to appreciate RSS is by using it. I use FeedDemon (www.feeddemon.com) - download a free trial and take it for a spin. I think you'll find that it greatly enhances your ability to consume news from Web sites, and most importantly, to know when they've been updated. Once you go RSS, you never go back. ;-)

(there are also lots of Web-based RSS readers if you prefer going that route)

brianchris
05-23-2006, 11:12 PM
Great...thanks for the explanation and suggestions. Does feeddemon have a PocketPC version (in case I get totally addicted)?

Thanks again!

Jason Dunn
05-23-2006, 11:21 PM
Does feeddemon have a PocketPC version (in case I get totally addicted)?

There's Newsgator Mobile - Newsgator bought FeedDemon, and it syncs with Newsgator Online, so that's the key part of the scenario - everything has to stay in sync or it sucks.

Filip Norrgard
05-24-2006, 05:21 AM
The redirect must be working fine, since I haven't noticed any changes in Opera's RSS reader. :) I'll be checking my Nokia N91's built-in reader and see if it likes the old URI too. (Or just maybe update the URI) ;)

encece
06-13-2006, 03:06 AM
Just started using WinMobile Live tonight. Tried to add the feedburner address directly and it doesnt recognize it. If I add the old address....it then works. Just an FYI.

(They really need to add imports of OPML files to Mobile Live!)

Jason Dunn
06-13-2006, 05:31 AM
Just started using WinMobile Live tonight. Tried to add the feedburner address directly and it doesnt recognize it. If I add the old address....it then works. Just an FYI.

Well that's definitely messed up - 1000's of sites use FeedBurner, if WinMobile Live can't cope with FeedBurner then they have a serious functionality problem on their hands. The old address re-directs to the new address though, so I'm unsure as to how/why it would work.