View Full Version : LCD stumper

merk1821
05-16-2006, 07:39 AM
I was wondering if any DMT readers have ever seen this in a LCD monitor and can give me some idea about what the problem is

I am working with a customer trying to get rid of a spyware infection. HIs HP f1703 LCD monitor worked great until all of a sudden it went black- nothing on the screen. My customer was expecteing this and showed that if the LCD monitor was shut off via the power button it would stay on for about 5 seconds and then go to black. Even pluging into my laptops's VGA port didnt fix it. I eventually brought it and the computer back to my workspace to finish the cleaning. For Fun i plugged in the LCD monitor into my computer's DVI port with a DVI-VGA adapter and boom ...it worked great. I had it running for a few days in this dual setup. i then hooked it back into my customer's computer for the final spyware cleanup ( an HP Pavilion MCE computer). The monitor went into the MCE's VGA port and it worked for a few more day without any difficulty. It was until this evening that the symptoms reappeared. I unplugged the monitor think it would work. It didnt and for a last ditched effort I plugged the LCD monitor into the MCE's DVI port with a DVI-VGA adapter. I didnt see anything so i assumed that the LCD monitor needed to cool off before it would work again. I removed the adapter, plugged the monitor cable into VGA port, plugged in the power cord and Voila....the monitor is working again.

So my questions is...what is wrong with this HP LCD monitor?

PS So more info. My customer is going to buy another LCD monitor so its not super critical if its too complex to fix. His computer is an HP Pavilion m400y with Windows XP MCE with a . Geforce 5700. Mine is a home built Athlon XP 2200, Windows XP Pro with a Radeon 9250

Jason Dunn
05-16-2006, 10:45 PM
Well, it could be a lot of things, but odds are good that the VGA port on the monitor simply went bad. It happens. You've done all the right type of testing, including testing it on another PC's VGA port. So it's just time for a new monitor, or time to get it repaired.