View Full Version : IDC Ranks Digital Camera Suppliers in U.S. Market Share

Suhit Gupta
05-16-2006, 01:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.popphoto.com/article.asp?section_id=5&article_id=2049' target='_blank'>http://www.popphoto.com/article.asp?section_id=5&article_id=2049</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Eastman Kodak lost the market share lead in digital camera sales to Canon in the United States, according to market research firm IDC of Framingham, MA. Kodak had held the lead for the last five quarters, according to IDC's research. Canon Inc., the worldwide digital camera leader, captured the U.S. lead in the period. Sony Corp., despite flat shipments, climbed into No. 2 position. IDC analyst Christopher Chute said the U.S. digital camera market grew only 3 percent during the quarter. Statistically the first quarter is the least significant for digital camera sales which peak in the Christmas season during the fourth quarter. IDC said many retailers had stocked up on cameras during the fourth quarter and still had ample supplies during the first quarter, resulting in relatively low orders, according to a Wall Street Journal article."</i><br /><br />I am really not surprised that Canon has taken over the leading market share but what does surprise me is that Kodak had the majority market share for such a long time. Either way, the report also suggests that things are still changing so the shares may not be the same forever; and that the rather slow market right now will pick up this quarter.

Vincent Ferrari
05-16-2006, 01:43 PM
I have to say I'm not too surprised by Kodak having had the lead at some point. Kodak is a popular brand, particularly with the senior set, and their cameras are usually cheap as hell and available everywhere.

Combine all that, and you have a winning combination.

As an aside, QVC was selling a 5 megapixel camera along with the printer dock for $199. That's a tough deal to beat no matter how you slice it. Moves like that are what keeps Kodak relevant in the declining days of film.