View Full Version : HD Radio to See Broader Availability

Suhit Gupta
04-14-2006, 02:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.betanews.com/article/HD_Radio_to_See_Broader_Availability/1144688328' target='_blank'>http://www.betanews.com/article/HD_Radio_to_See_Broader_Availability/1144688328</a><br /><br /></div><i>"A group of broadcasters unveiled their plans to further promote high-definition radio receivers by announcing new deals with retailers that would make it easier for consumers to access the service. Altogether, some $200 million in advertising and promotions is planned this year. HD Radio promises to give FM broadcasts a free boost to near-CD quality, and gives AM near-FM quality sound. Also, radio stations are able to broadcast up to two digital sub-stations on top of the traditional frequency. However, the format has so far been plagued by a lack of interest and availability of compatible receivers. To remedy that problem, the HD Radio Alliance -- made up of broadcasters such as Beasley, Clear Channel, ABC and CBS Radio among others -- said Monday that equipment would be available in 100-plus stores nationwide including Tweeter and ABC Warehouse Detroit, with an expanded commitment from online and catalog retailer Crutchfield."</i><br /><br />I have been using my car pretty heavily lately (one of the changes I had to make when moving from New York, where a car is more of a liability) and have come to appreciate the differences in sound quality between AM, FM, CDs and MP3 players. The latter two sound pretty much the same to me but there is no doubt that FM is not as good as them and AM is definitely the worst in terms of sound quality from the lot. So I am definitely one of the supporters of this initiative and the $200 price point doesn't seem too bad either. What do you folks think?

leslietroyer
04-14-2006, 02:06 PM
I went with XM - sound is near MP3, and the music selection is good. I do miss NPR and will often go to FM just to get it.

Les

egads
04-14-2006, 02:33 PM
If it came in a car or stereo I purchased I'd use it but I'd never pay $200 to buy a receiver. Normal FM is fine for me...

Vincent Ferrari
04-14-2006, 02:37 PM
I went to XM and never look back at all. I can't stand the 5 minutes of content followed by 15 minutes of commercials followed by 5 minutes of content.

Honestly, I think radio is dead. People want:

a) their own content that they bring with them.
b) content that's more content than ads.

Satellite radio is a great option with lots of programming choices. HD is already behind in the race and it hasn't even launched yet. Not a good way to start.

Janak Parekh
04-14-2006, 06:39 PM
Satellite radio is a great option with lots of programming choices. HD is already behind in the race and it hasn't even launched yet. Not a good way to start.
Yeah, that's my thinking too. I guess the target demographic would be people who couldn't afford subscriptions -- but wouldn't HD radio be too expensive to start off?

Suhit, have you considered satellite? I'd get it, of course, for the baseball games. ;) Being in NY, though, I don't use the car radio nearly enough.

--janak

Vincent Ferrari
04-14-2006, 06:49 PM
I guess the target demographic would be people who couldn't afford subscriptions -- but wouldn't HD radio be too expensive to start off?

Exactly.

XM's Roady XT, the FM Direct Adapter and an Antenna Adapter can be had for $48 if you commit to 6 months of service at $12.95 a month. The idea that someone would pay $200 for a radio is silly, especially considering it apparently won't have the bredth of content that satellite (Sirius or XM) has right now...

I don't know... I'm all for a wait and see attitude, but this looks like a desperate attempt to stop the exodus of people away from the content they've already become bored of by providing more of the same content they're bored of and just making it sound better...

Neil Enns
04-16-2006, 06:48 AM
This just sounds like a last-ditch effort by the old-skool radios to survive in an era of satellite.

XM in the car makes me go :rock on dude!:. Sirius in the house makes my wife go :way to go: . 'Sall good.

Neil

sundown
04-17-2006, 03:28 PM
XM subscriber here too but I have high hopes for HD Radio. XM or Sirius can't completely replace my local radio coverage so I go back and forth sometimes. I don't think the average person is going to go out and spend $200 just to have HD though and that's an obvious roadbloack. Heck, XM and Sirius are practically giving their receivers away and server is inexpensive for the most part. But I still hope HD Radio comes through. I do worry that plain old FM/AM will go away and I think that's bad news for small local stations that can't compete with the ClearChannel's and Viacom's of the world.

Vincent Ferrari
04-17-2006, 03:40 PM
I almost hate to say it, but as far as I'm concerned let it go. Buh bye.

For years and years "small local stations" right along with big media conglomerates have been providing more and more ads alongside less and less actual content. Frankly, I could care less if the commercial laiden garbage they feed disappears off the dial entirely, and when that eventually does happen, we can all just sit there and recognize the fact that they did it to themselves.