View Full Version : Windows Vista Delayed until 2007 for Consumers

Jason Dunn
03-22-2006, 05:30 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2006/mar06/03-21WindowsVistaDeliveryPR.mspx' target='_blank'>http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2006/mar06/03-21WindowsVistaDeliveryPR.mspx</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Microsoft Corp. today confirmed that Windows Vista™, the next generation of the Windows® client operating system, is on target to go into broad consumer beta to approximately 2 million users in the second quarter of 2006. Microsoft is on track to complete the product this year, with business availability in November 2006 and broad consumer availability in January 2007."</i><br /><br />You know, after all the delays and dropped features in Vista, I really thought that Microsoft would be able to stick to their "late 2006" deadline. Reading between the lines, this likely means that OEMs will be shipping Vista Business and Vista Enterprise, and in January we'll see retail boxes on store shelves for Vista Ultimate, Vista Home Basic, and Home Premium. I wonder though if we'll see Vista machines from Dell in time for Christmas? I'd be shocked if Microsoft and their partners would let the retail season pass without Vista computers being ready for sale.

Jason Dunn
03-23-2006, 03:03 PM
So based on what I've been reading elsewhere it looks like it won't be available to OEMs either. That's a bad move - it's going to hurt adoption in a big way, because all those people who buy new PCs for Christmas aren't going to want to poney up for a new OS a few months later. Maybe Microsoft will be offering free upgrades for users like that...

Darius Wey
03-24-2006, 05:10 PM
So based on what I've been reading elsewhere it looks like it won't be available to OEMs either.

So, does that mean customers will be able to go to their retail store and purchase a "boxed" Media Center experience off the shelf as part of Vista Home Premium?

Jason Dunn
03-24-2006, 05:54 PM
So, does that mean customers will be able to go to their retail store and purchase a "boxed" Media Center experience off the shelf as part of Vista Home Premium?

Yes, that's exactly what it means. :-)