View Full Version : PlaysForSure Device

OSUKid7
03-11-2006, 07:51 PM
Well, I've resisted getting a standalone media player for this long, but I think it's about time. If you don't know me, I'm a heavy antipiracy advocate, and thus, all of my music is legal. I'm one of the few people who actually subscribe to Napster. I have a Dell Axim X51v Pocket PC and Cingular 2125 Smarthpone, both with Windows Mobile 5. I've been able to sync purchased music (purchassed at $0.99/track on Napster) to my Axim's internal storage and storage cards. Last week, before I left on my trip, I upgraded my standard Napster subscription to the Napster To Go, in hopes that it might sync to my Axim's 1GB SD card. I didn't totally expect it to work, as the Axim X51v is not a PlaysForSure device; however, every time I connected the device with WMP/Napster open, a dialog box allerted me that I could upgrade to Napster To Go.

Well, for those familiar with Pocket PCs and WMP DRM, you know by now that it didn't work. The license wouldn't sync over to the storage card - only internal storage. I somewhat see the point of this, but why can't they just copy the license to internal storage, and the music files to the storage card?

Anyhow, I'm going to be traveling more this summer, both by car and plane, so I'm considering getting a standalone media player. Features I'd like: PlaysForSure compatible, obviously - since I'm a Napster subscriber now; relatively large storage capacity - I haven't decided if I want internal or expandable storage, but I'm leaning towards an internal hard drive, as I'd like some room to expand in the future; physical size - I would perfer something of pocket size, although if this compromises features, it's not the most important spec.

As I'm looking over the PlaysForSure.com (http://www.playsforsure.com) site, I'm reminded again of the Portable Media Center devices. I do have a Media Center system, so these still interest me. However, the size is definitely larger than I was thinking. I guess if I'm considering a PMC, I should consider a UMPC, (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/umpc/) since that would act as a normal PC, and save me $5 per month.

Well, as you can tell, I'm still a little overwhelmed with my options. I'm happy for any advice (other than to get an iPod ;)).

Thanks everyone!

dmcohen
03-11-2006, 10:03 PM
I use Naspter togo with my Zen Vision M it is an awesome combo! Initially I had some software glitches (one of the windows patches kept crashing the drm) but now it works great.

Unfortunately, Vongo's service will not yet work with the ZVM but it should at some time in the near future. Since you have a media center pc you should know that shows recorded on the pc sync to the ZVM with ease using Windows Media Player and they are awesome! Icant beleive how watch-able shows are on a screen as small as that.

The UMPC's look great but
(a) the first generation's battery life is going to be limited so great devices are a year or two out at the minimum.
(b) as small as they are they are far from pocketable. The ZVM is the type of thing you want to carry with you all the time.

So for now the ZVM is THE device... especially since Amazon just dropped the price $30!!!

OSUKid7
03-11-2006, 10:46 PM
Thanks for the advice, dmcohen, and welcome to DMT. :D

I've been eying the Creative Zen Vision: M this afternoon as well, and it's definitely high on my list. The 30GB should be more than enough for my music (for now, anyway), and hopefully with some sync management in WMP10, it'll be able to hold quite a bit of recorded TV as well.

How is the battery life on the ZVM? Also, is it possible to charge the device through USB 2.0?

Thanks again.

dmcohen
03-12-2006, 05:51 AM
battery life seems fine but I tend to charge it every night so I'm not a good judge. It certainly hasn't been a problem for me and the video playback is plenty for watching a couple of shows or a movie or two. A big factor with the battery life seems to be whether or not you fast forward songs or through commercials on shows. That seems to bring it way down.

I have not tried to charge it with the usb as I am using the cradle which is both plugged in to an outlet and the usb.