View Full Version : engadget: The Contractor and the Architect

Jason Dunn
03-09-2006, 10:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.engadget.com/2006/03/08/switched-on-the-contractor-and-the-architect/' target='_blank'>http://www.engadget.com/2006/03/08/switched-on-the-contractor-and-the-architect/</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Ephemeral concerns about running Windows aside, Apple’s entry onto the Intel platform may have many potential switchers scratching their confused crania. Is Apple’s design prowess simply attributed to designing "the whole widget" as the company says? Is it as simple as minimalism or even restraint? Those are all factors, but a stronger influence is the difference of philosophies and perceived roles between Microsoft and Apple...Apple, on the other hand, is the industry’s architect. It understands what people want, generally, but it fuses those requirements with its own sense of design and direction. Its approach reminds me of a Chicago DJ my wife once described to me who, instead of playing requests that people that people said they wanted, would play what he deemed they needed to hear."</i><br /><br />This article very accurately nails the primary differences between Apple and Microsoft, and why one appeals to the smaller market, and one to the mass market. Very interesting reading.

Phronetix
03-09-2006, 04:48 PM
This article very accurately nails the primary differences between Apple and Microsoft, and why one appeals to the smaller market, and one to the mass market. Very interesting reading.

I think the author overplays the issue of "lack" of backward compatibility in Macs b/c OS9 is no longer supported or included on new machines. For everyone that I know who has run Mac since before OS X, this is a non-issue and has been so for at least 2-3 years.

He also fails to mention just how good that Chicago DJ was at playing what people needed to hear. 8)

Seriously, though, it's an interesting perspective, but only part of the story.

He fails to mention the single biggest issue that Microsoft needs to fix to make Vista credible in my eyes: security issues. Of course, no OS will ever be perfect, and I'm not in the loop enough to know whether Microsoft is reworking the OS to be more secure... for real. I suspect they are dedicating a great deal of resources to that very thing.