View Full Version : Pondering my Next DSLR - What to Choose?

Jason Dunn
02-06-2006, 05:00 PM
I originally purchased my Canon Digital Rebel 300D back in October of 2003, and while it has served me very well, it's coming up on three years old this year and I'm searching for something better. I have a minimal investment in lenses thus - the kit 18 to 55mm lens, and a 55 to 200mm lens that wasn't very expensive. Beyond that, I have a Canon Speedlite 220EX. I'm open to the possibility of switching to a Nikon camera if the fit is right. I've tended to prefer Canon, but had some hands-on time with a D70 and was quite impressed by it.<br /><br />I spent some time at my local <a href="http://www.vistek.ca/">Vistek</a> store last weekend, which is a photographers delight. The people working there are professionals, so it's a humbling experience to talk to real photography experts that know far more than I do. I went in wanting to get some hands on with the Canon 5D after talking with Neil and hearing <a href="http://www.digitalmediathoughts.com/articles.php?action=expand,9628">how impressed he was</a> with the camera, and I wanted to toy with Canon 20D since that was the "runner up" camera I was considering.<!><br /><br />While I was initially lured by the Canon 5D's full-frame sensor, I've now decided against it for a few reasons. First, cost: once I add on a great lens, I'd easily be at nearly $5000 CND, which is simply too much of an investment for something that I don't earn an income from. Next, the lack of a built-in flash. I tend to shoot without my Speedlite most of the time, so having to lug it along for every shoot would be a pain. Lastly, I simply couldn't articulate why I really <i>needed</i> a full-frame sensor. I think I was enamoured more with the idea than the reality, and I'm just not a good enough photographer to justify moving to such a serious camera.<br /><br />What I'm really interested in seeing is an updated version of the Canon 20D - it looks like a great camera, but after seeing the large LCD screen on the Nikon D200 and the Canon 5D, it's hard to look at the small screen on the 20D and not cringe. On my recent trip to Mexico I often found myself checking on the photo I had just shot, and the LCD on my 300D is so small I'd always have to zoom in to see if it was in focus or not. <a href="http://www.dpreview.com/articles/pma2006/">PMA 2006 is coming up</a>, so I'm patiently waiting to see if Canon will unveil a 30D or something similar.<br /><br />At Vistek I got also got a chance to use the Nikon D200 with a massive 18mm to 200mm lens. I was very impressed with how well the camera handled, how the low-light photos I was taking inside the store looked, and the large screen and nicely designed menus. My gut feeling is still to lean towards the Canon, but that D200 was an impressive camera and one that I plan on looking very seriously at. It was hard to separate my feelings about the D200 from my feelings about the 18 to 200mm lens, which was simply awesome. Definitely a great "walkabout" lens for a vacation!<br /><br />Any Canon 20D or Nikon D200 owners out there? How would you summarize your experiences with your camera - would you buy it again? And for all our readers, any suggestions for me on how to chose between these two cameras?

ianbjor
02-06-2006, 06:09 PM
Woo hoo! First post!

Seriously, though: Although I can't really justify the 5D either, the #1 reason why the full frame sensor is so attractive to me is to get my wide angle lens back. I have a beautiful Canon 16-35 L lens, but with the 1.6x from the small sensor it's really a 25-56. Ouch.

KH
02-06-2006, 06:23 PM
I have had my 20D since last summer and have to say it is a fabulous camera. My husband took over the 300D and has taken some great pictures with it, but I can really tell the difference. I probably started lusting after the 20D after reading reviews about the lack of graininess with the ISO bumped up. I take a lot of pictures of equestrian events and often have to deal with short shutter speeds in low light conditions. I invested in the best lense I could, which is a 135mm F2.0 L-series Lens, and recently discovered that it works very well indeed with the 1.4x Extender. I've taken some really good shots even in the rain with this lens and the Rebel, but the Rebel never could have taken some of the shots I've had with the 20D.

sdattilo
02-06-2006, 06:55 PM
I had a 20D for about 10 months. (I returned it about 3 weeks ago - it was a COSTCO purchase and they take back anyting no questions asked for a year. with the price drops over the year and not knowing what Canon would kick out next I took it back.

before the 20D I had the Digital rebel and have played with a Nikon 200. My thoughts are this...

The 20D is Fast!!! Taking pictures of my 6 year playing soccer, ripping off 5 or 6 shots in a burst to not miss the kick, or smile, or perfect shot is worth it. I invested in at Sigma EX Telephote that went out to 200mm and it just takes great shots.

The 8mp gives me fantastic cropping ability and I still get fantastic Large format printouts on my Epson R1800.

I am dying right now just playing with a Kodak P880 while I wait to see what Canon comes out with soon. I too am hoping for a 30D type camera with a larger LCD and maybe even some more MP passed down from the 5D.

While I played with a friends Nikon for a weekend getaway, I just felt the 20D to be Faster and to be cleaner (read less noise) when I did some croping and printing. But to be honest, take it with a grain (no pun intended) of salt because I have always been in the Canon camp and may not have given the Nikon its due as far as time investment to take care of the learning curve.

I too WANT the 5D but cant really justify the NEED the 5D sentiment. Full frame would be great for wide angle, but the cost is kinda rough.

Lee Yuan Sheng
02-06-2006, 07:26 PM
If you can, shoot with both cameras and go with what feels the best to you photography-wise. I generally prefer Nikon's egronomics to Canon's, but you might not. At this point I think both cameras will suit your needs, and it ultimately a question of how well you and the camera get together rather than that of looking at specifications.

Neil Enns
02-06-2006, 07:31 PM
It all depends on what you want the new camera for. If you just want something with cool new technology then the 20D (or whatever announcement Canon *might* make at PMA) is a fine choice. The other option is to simply invest in some more lenses. You'd be amazed at what adding a new lens to your arsenal does to unleash your creativity. The 10-22 EF-S would let you explore the funky wide-end of the spectrum. Or you could get yourself a solid macro lens and explore things up close and personal (and get a great portrait lens at the same time). Or get the 70-300 DO IS and go long with image stabilization.

Or, get the 5D :) If you want to see what wide looks like, try http://www.badcasserole.com/evergreen2006/index7.html

All the shots from page 7 and 8 were taken with the 17-40L on a 5D.

Neil

Jason Dunn
02-06-2006, 07:34 PM
I have a beautiful Canon 16-35 L lens, but with the 1.6x from the small sensor it's really a 25-56. Ouch.

Yeah, I hear you - I don't have a wide angel lens, so if I got a 1.6x sensor camera I'd probably got for something like this:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/lenses/Canon-10-22mm-test.shtml

marlof
02-06-2006, 08:21 PM
I've only played with the D200 and the 20D in a store, but I found the ergonomics and build quality on the Nikon superior to the Canon 20D. Other might feel differently about ergonomics. I think both will be a significant upgrade from your 300D with kit lenses, and will be excellent tools to expand your photography. You might want to wait a little while to see what Canon has to offer as the upgrade from the 20D that is rumored to be announced soon. Perhaps at PMA, end of the month?

Jason Dunn
02-06-2006, 09:40 PM
You might want to wait a little while to see what Canon has to offer as the upgrade from the 20D that is rumored to be announced soon. Perhaps at PMA, end of the month?

Yes, that's exactly what I'm waiting for - I won't make any purchase decisions until after PMA, just to see what's announced. In the meantime I'll be reading up on the 20D and the D200. Kind of funny how similar they are in name... ;-)

Jonathon Watkins
02-08-2006, 12:34 AM
I'm hoping that Canon will announce a replacement for the Pro1. I would love an update to this light, superbly capable camera with an L class lens....... :P

Suhit Gupta
02-08-2006, 05:05 AM
Yeah, I can see what you mean by wanting the update to the 20D. I have the 10D and am so satisfied with it. There are only two things that I would change in it if I had the option - cleanliness and speed. Regarding cleanliness, I wish the mirror in the camera as well as the lens in the viewfinder wouldn't get dirty so easily. Regarding speed, having a faster camera for auto-focusing and photo capturing would be awesome. The former will happen over time (I think/hope). The later is happening in all the latest cameras but it is coming at the expense of, well, expense. This is why I really decided not to upgrade to the 5D. Hopefully the 30D? will help.

Suhit

Doug Johnson
02-09-2006, 07:17 PM
I have the 20D and I love it! I got it shortly after its release, upgrading from the 10D, and while specification-wise it doesn't seem like there was that much difference between the two, it has turned out to be a HUGE difference in the real world. (Coming from a 300D would be an even bigger upgrade). That said, with PMA right around the corner, and the 20D now being older than the 10D was when it was replaced, there is a lot of speculation that a 30D (or whatever they choose to call it) is on its way. And if the 30D is as much of an upgrade as the 20D was, it will be well worth the wait.