View Full Version : Practical uses for the Zen Vision M?

JohnnyFlash
02-03-2006, 01:57 AM
Hi Jason,

I have some questions on the Zen M and your name came up several times in my searches. I've recently upgraded my home video setup and I now have Comcast with HD support. I've been looking to see if I can get shows from my Comcast DVR (Motorola Dual-Tuner DVR High-Definition Set-Top DCT6412) to a portable video device. Unfortunately it looks like there is much more to it than I expected. I've been looking at the Zen M and was wondering where I can get the latest articles you have written on it. Also I'd like to know what kinds of content you put on yours and how you go about it.

Can I take DVD's I own and watch them? Can I record form my Comcast device?
Can I take recording from my Comcast device and transfer them? Etc etc etc.

I'm sort of a noob at all of this but I'm coming up to speed on all the terms and issues etc. Any primers you recommend would also be helpful.

Also are you happy overall with the Zen and do you know any local stores that may carry it I'd like to check it out in person before buying one.

Thanks for your time and help in advance.

Jason Dunn
02-03-2006, 07:21 AM
Can I take DVD's I own and watch them? Can I record form my Comcast device? Can I take recording from my Comcast device and transfer them? Etc etc etc.

Regarding your Comcast device, no, I don't think you can get shows off it. I can't be sure, but if it's anything like the Motorola DVR from my cable company, it's a closed box that you can't pull shows off of. I use a Windows Media Center 2005 PC to record TV shows and then Video Vault (below) to convert the files to a format compatible with the Zen Vision:M. You might try Googling for more information about your Comcast box, perhaps it's possible...but I really doubt it.

In order to watch your DVDs on the Vision:M, you'll need to rip the DVDs, and convert them to Divx or WMV for playback on the device. To do that you need to crack the encryption on your DVD, which is technically illegal if you live in the USA - it's a violation of the DCMA.

AnyDVD
http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvd.html
This is a DVD driver that, on the fly, cracks DVD encryption, allowing other tools to extract and encode the DVD as if it were a home-made DVD with no encryption

Video Vault PVP
http://www.divmm.com/
This is the tool that will take non-encrypted DVDs and convert them to formats perfectly compatible with the Zen Vision:M. In fact, they announced support specifically for the Vision:M, which is great. It works SO incredibly well.

I've messed around with freeware apps that can somewhat do the same thing, but trust me, if your time and peace of mind is worth anything to you, buy these two programs and you'll be much happier than if you struggle with freeware tools and all their quirks.

Also are you happy overall with the Zen and do you know any local stores that may carry it I'd like to check it out in person before buying one.

Yes, overall I'm quite happy. I'd give it an 8 out of 10 as an overall experience. The hardware is great - I'd say 9 out of 10 - but there's some frustrations with the somewhat poor software. But I've learned to work around it with other, better tools.

JohnnyFlash
02-03-2006, 05:11 PM
First off, awesome response. Exactly what I was looking for. I just need to get me a Zen now I think.

Below is some very relavant information and I'm looking into this for my DVR as we speak. Since I'm a new customer my box should have the firewire connection enabled. The article is an excellent read and well worth your time. Basically your cable company is forced to provide firewire access and support for moving recorded shows from your DVR/PVR.

Now I just need a reallllllllllllllly long firewire cord. :way to go:

How Federal Regulations Affect the Products You Install
By Michael Heiss

Full article: http://resmagonline.com/articles/publish/printer_435.shtml

These arose last year after the FCC’s adoption of “Plug and Play” connectivity rules that were facilitated by the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA) and the National Cable & Telecommunications Association (NCTA). This initial line of demarcation means that cable companies offering HDTV services are now required to provide a set-top box with a “recordable 1394 connection” to consumers on request. This finally provides some use for the Firewire jacks that have been a part of some manufacturers’ lines for two product cycles.

In addition, cable companies are now also required to make a CableCard available to customers who request them. Previously, these were things that were talked about, but seldom available. After July 1 you may still encounter, “What’s a CableCard, I never heard of that?” when talking to the friendly customer service person at the local cable company. Some may even tell you that they aren’t ready yet.

Now that we’ve all turned the pages on our calendars, you have the option to nicely educate them as to the former, and tell them that “We don’t have them yet” is no longer an acceptable answer. As the chances improve that you will be selling displays with CableCard slots in significant numbers, you need to know that you should be able to facilitate the installation of the cards for your clients. After chasing the formerly named POD cards, for more than a few years, they are finally a reality for both manufacturers and cable companies—and now for you, as well.

The implications of this are important. The requirement for 1394 connectivity on cable boxes means that any displays have already installed or sell from now on that include 1394 connectivity should, in theory, be able to “talk” directly to a cable box. This should not only do the obvious task of porting over the video and audio signals in a copy-protected, digitally compressed form, it should also provide interoperability for basic functionality such as on/off, volume control and channel selection through the 1394 link. Recordability is also in the spec, but given the current state of industry discussions over broadcast flags, copy control and content protection there is no sure guarantee that everything and anything will be available for recording, or that the recording will be in full HD resolution. The issue of recording HD and Digital Rights Management (DRM) is a weighty one and a subject for another day. However, at the very least you are now able to configure some sort of recording over the 1394 links.