View Full Version : New to MP3 players, need advice

brianchris
01-17-2006, 08:44 PM
Although I'm a network administrator, and am very familar with computers in general, and digital media in particular, I've never owned an MP3 player of any type before, but am ready to buy now. Here's what I'm interested in (in no particular order):

-A hard drive based player, although it doesn't have to be big, because my music colection isn't that big. I'm thinking minimum of 5-8GB, but would consider more if recomended.

-NOT AN iPOD! Sorry, while I respect and admire Apple's hardware, I am NOT a fan of their software, and won't let iTunes on my computer. Plus, I have a lot of WMA files, and plan to continue to use Napster, Wal MArt, and MSN music as my primary stores (instead of just one, such as iTunes).

-EASY INTERFACE. The flash based MP3 players were too hard to navigate. That's a big reason why I'm going with HD models on the (perhaps false assumtion) that they're easy to navigate.

-Good accessories selection. Specifically, I'll want a dock/travel speakers accessory, similar to iPods, etc. The creative Zen Micro has such a dock here: http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=4&subcategory=29&product=11784&campid=20711&WT.cg_n=Campaigns&WT.mc_id=981

-Good quality sound.

-Connects via USB 2.0, and appears as a external Hard Drive within Windows XP, with no drivers to load, or software to use to transfer music.

-Price is important, but not necessarily more important than any of the other issues above.

Thanks in advance!!!!

Lee Yuan Sheng
01-17-2006, 10:45 PM
MSC is a tough one, combined with the need for accessories. Form-fitting speaker docks like the ones for the iPods and Zens are produced only for the... iPods and Zens. Meaning if you want MSC, you'll need to go with external speakers rather than docks. Creative's players use MTP to connect; I talk a little about it here (http://www.digitalmediathoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9484). It doesn't need drivers in Windows XP, but it's not quite as flexible as a MSC solution.

If you want MSC but don't mind using external speakers, you can check out the Archos XS202 (if they still make it and have updated it with Janus support), the Samsung YH-J50/70, or the just announced iAudio 6.

brianchris
01-18-2006, 04:11 AM
Thanks for replying!

I'm not sure what MSC and MTP stand for or mean (anywhere I can do more research on those acronyms? ), BUT you've already convinced me that I'd rather have MSC than the dock (if MSC is what I think it is).

I forgot to mention that Windows "Play for Sure" is a requirement, although that could of likely been infered from my preference in online music stores.

Thanks again!

Lee Yuan Sheng
01-18-2006, 03:43 PM
MSC is Mass Storage Class, which is what you were referring to when you mentioned you want the device to appear as an external hard drive.

Media Transfer Protocal (MTP) is similar, in that you can drag and drop files, but if you like to organise your music in neat folders on your player like me, little things like not being able to move files within the player might be infuirating.

Jason Dunn
01-18-2006, 04:36 PM
Given your requirements, I think one of these two:

30 GB Zen Vision:M
http://www.creative.com/products/mp3/zenvisionm/

Zen Micro Photo
http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=213&subcategory=214&product=14107

Any of the new Creative players support MTP, and with MTP you can connect to any PC that has WMP10 and it will show up in Windows Explorer, allow you to drag and drop files into the Data folder. But as Lee pointed out, there are limitations to it, such as not being able to rearrange your music that way. It's pretty much limited to moving stuff into and out of a single Data folder.

The Zen Vision:M goes one step further, allowing you to partition off a portion of the 30 GB drive into a stand-alone hard drive, and when you put it in mass storage mode via the player software, and connect it to a PC, it acts as a REAL hard drive allowing you to do anything you want. Very cool stuff. :-)

Hope this helped a bit!

brianchris
01-18-2006, 07:21 PM
Thanks for the continued replies.

Jason, I will take a close look at the two you suggested.

In my introductory research to date, I found two VERY promising players. Fist, the Rio Karma.....while I'm not sure its a Windows "Play for Sure" compatible model (which it would have to be), it was 20GB, has good reviews, and a dock with RCA out AND ethernet capability!!! Problem is, its no longer availible (new, that is).

Next, thanks to Lee Yuan, I really started liking the Archos XS202.......problem is, ITS NOT AVAILIBLE (at least not in the United States).....not from Buy.com or Amazon (despite VERY recent, posative reviews). What the heck?!?!....why are the best players not availible???

Assuming those two players are indeed unavailible, and knowing they appear to be players I'm looking for, any recomendations on similar CURRENT players? Thanks again!

Lee Yuan Sheng
01-20-2006, 12:17 AM
(Lee's my family name, BTW)

Archos has just announced the XS202s, so you might want to check that out. Now in a much nicer black.

brianchris
01-20-2006, 12:23 AM
(Lee's my family name, BTW)

Archos has just announced the XS202s, so you might want to check that out. Now in a much nicer black.

Sorry about messing up your name :oops:

Regarding the XS202s, yea, I knew about that (even prefered it), but I can't find that either. I didn't know if it was a case of both being discontinued, or the silver one being discontinued and the black one not yet availible. At this point, the XS202s would be the one I would get, but I need to know if/when it will be availible. Any suggestions where a United States customer should keep an eye out for the XS202s?

Thanks again!!!

Lee Yuan Sheng
01-20-2006, 05:38 PM
I think you're in-between releases. The XS202s is probably somewhere in a few warehouses right now. :P

pantherfan8
09-26-2006, 06:21 PM
The Zen line from Creative Labs are by far the best MP3 players out today, I have an older ZenMirco and I'm thinking about upgrading, Yaprice.com has a pretty good selection from creative that's lets you compare prices from different retailers. http://www.yaprice.com/compare-prices/creative-zen-vision-m-mp3-player-30-gb-p3300308.html