View Full Version : HP's Apple Obligation Ends - Does Anyone Care?

Jason Dunn
12-16-2005, 08:30 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.tuaw.com/2005/12/15/hps-iTunes-obligations-coming-to-an-end' target='_blank'>http://www.tuaw.com/2005/12/15/hps-iTunes-obligations-coming-to-an-end</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Hewlett Packard's deal with Apple, requiring HP to bundle iTunes with its PCs, will lapse in January. HP says it plans to pursue a new digital entertainment strategy in 2006, but isn't telling what that strategy will look like. Business Week reports that there has already been some "cozying up" between HP and Microsoft, and suggests that HP will once again become a "chess piece," although not a very powerful one, in Microsoft's efforts to beat Apple in the music and digital media markets. Ah, what a tangled weave these companies weave."</i><br /><br />HP's ill-fated "me too" effort with the sale of iPods is coming to a close, and I can't say I'm at all surprised by the results. When I bought my HP laptop and it had iTunes installed, the first thing I did was uninstall it. There's simply no natural synergy between HP and Apple, and this whole effort was forced at best. I'm sure that Apple won't mourn the loss of HP as a partner, but maybe HP will surprise us by coming out with a great audio player of their own...though probably not.

Kent Pribbernow
12-16-2005, 08:44 PM
This is a great loss that will surely send ripple effects felt throughout the industry and perhaps bring the portable media device market to its knees. When I think of all the children who won't be getting an Apple iPod from HP this Christmas...it just...

it...makes me...

(excuse me while I compose myself.) I'm taking this very hard. I've gone through an entire box of tissues.

OSUKid7
12-17-2005, 02:14 AM
When I bought my HP laptop and it had iTunes installed, the first thing I did was uninstall it.
You know, I have an HP laptop that I bought last spring, and I don't even remember ever having iTunes on it. That must have been one of the first things to go for me as well. :lol: I know plenty of people who like iTunes, but for me, every time I have used it in the past, it seems to mess up my file type preferences.

HP really has no reason to bundle iTunes, but it's just another business deal. I'd say it's better than bundling AOL with *FREE* shortcuts in way too many places. :roll: The customer really should get to chose what software he wants on the computer. I don't mind OEMs including some free software on CDs with a new computer, but please don't install it. I can do that myself. (but yes, I understand most users can't, and won't, install it if it isn't installed already.)