View Full Version : Creative's Cunning Clone Strategy

Kent Pribbernow
12-10-2005, 05:00 PM
http://www.digitalmediathoughts.com/images/creativeipod.JPG

I've been watching the announcements coming from Creative this week with great interest. Having done so, it strikes me that a plan has been in the works inside the company. Clearly the design similarities between the iPod and Zen Vision:M were intentional, not coincidental. That much is obvious. But why would Creative do this, knowing that such a product would surely send them to the Old Bailey? Well clearly there is a method to Creative's madness at play, or to be more precise...they had an ace up their sleeve in the form an almost forgotten patent which lays claim to the very interface Apple uses on its iPod. Could it be that Creative thought it might get Apple to back off its hardware design claims if they (Creative) let the iPod's interface go uncontested?

Possibly. But the fact that Creative filed suit against Apple for patent infringement tells me that talks may have been going on between the two companies, and Steve Jobs wouldn't play along. You can bet next week will see a battery of suits (or just one REALLY BIG ONE) filed by Apple. One thing is certain; the ones who stand to benefit from this all will be the lawyers. Tis the season to litigate.

James Fee
12-10-2005, 05:12 PM
I for one am happy to finally see the lawsuits. Creative will either come out a stronger company because they will have revenue from Apple having to license from them or they will be destroyed and we'll be spared all the missed opportunities they have missed over the years.

Phronetix
12-10-2005, 07:26 PM
Here's my two cents:

Creative's lawsuit will get thrown out, and they won't appeal.

The very idea that Creative could patent the idea of a hierarchical nested list of folders is bunk. This is the exact same type of organizational representation used by all major desktop OS's since the advent of the GUI. There is no obvious other way to do this in the little space available. Then again, maybe my ignorance of the legal system is shining through here.

And I hope Apple whipsmacks 'em behind grampa's shed for being so stupid with this design. Surely someone can come up with a new design besides apple.

Dennis

Lee Yuan Sheng
12-11-2005, 08:45 AM
Reading too much into this. Perhaps you have a bit too much time on your hands?

It's probably Creative taking the safe approach with a tried and tested design. Being so far behind sometimes it's better not to try something too radical.

Besides, if you're going to call Creative a copycat with this design, practically every other DAP is a copy too? I mean, they all tend to have 4:3 screens on the top, with controls at the bottom, and usually touch screen ones at that too!

Kent Pribbernow
12-11-2005, 06:25 PM
Reading too much into this. Perhaps you have a bit too much time on your hands?[/i]

According to your post count, you post here more than I do. And you say I have too much free time?

It's probably Creative taking the safe approach with a tried and tested design. Being so far behind sometimes it's better not to try something too radical.

If you believe that you're blind. The design was clearly intentionally copied in order to capitalize on the iPod's success. And Creative knew they could get away with it due to their patent on hierarchal menu navigation. If Apple goes after Creative for copying the iPod's design, Creative goes after Apple for patent infringement. And it's a sure win for Creative. If Apple wins, Creative simply kills this product. If Creative wins Apple could stand to lose millions of dollars and be forced to pay royalties to Creative.

Besides, if you're going to call Creative a copycat with this design, practically every other DAP is a copy too?

Really? I can't think of any other portable device on the market that so closely resembles the iPod.

Jason Dunn
12-12-2005, 01:47 AM
<shrug> They definitely seem "iPod iNspired", but clones? Nope. The clone is that Korean one. I grow so weary of people screaming that everyone is copying Apple: every UI element, every MP3 player, every monitor, every tower. :roll:

Kent Pribbernow
12-12-2005, 01:54 AM
Oh come on. Don't tell me you didn't initially look at that image and NOT think iPod?

Jason Dunn
12-12-2005, 01:59 AM
Oh come on. Don't tell me you didn't initially look at that image and NOT think iPod?

Sure, but when I look at a BMW I think Audi, Benz, and others. Any good design incorporates elements of what modern society thinks is attractive.

Kent Pribbernow
12-12-2005, 02:00 AM
The real story is not the design itself, it's the backstory behind it. Creative just pulled off a brilliant strategy. Apple doesn't dare go after Creative, or Creative goes after Apple. But unlike Creative, Apple stands far more to lose...in the form of royalties.

sojourner753
12-13-2005, 02:15 AM
What bugs me the most...
Why is Creative cutting it so close?

Do none of the executives have desk calendars? Its Christmas time!

I have to get my wish to my GF soon and so far this guy is not available anywhere in the states. :roll:

Kent Pribbernow
12-13-2005, 02:30 AM
What bugs me the most...
Why is Creative cutting it so close?

Do none of the executives have desk calendars? Its Christmas time!

I can't quite figure that part either. This should have been rolled out last month before Thanksgiving.

Crazy as it sounds, I plan on getting one too. That or a perhaps a Dell device...if they EVER add a friggin color screen and video capability. I've been thinking of buying a WMA player for a long time, as a way of hedging my bets. The day will come when I move away from iPod for good.

Right now the Vision:M (terrible name by the way) is the only compelling product I see that would draw me away.

My prediction; iPod fans are going to be in for a some rough chops next year, because with the introduction of Windows Vista, and a new surge in competition, I'm betting the tide will begin to turn. But then again I've been wrong before in predicting iPod's decline. :?

sojourner753
12-15-2005, 12:53 AM
I just spoke with a Creative sales rep on the phone here in the US. He said that they've been told that they'll have it in stock the around the 1st of the year. :(

I may have to take DAPs off my Christmas list and wait for this one. So what can I replace it with? hmm...