View Full Version : The Xbox 360 as a Stealth DVR

Jason Dunn
12-06-2005, 03:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.thelongtail.com/the_long_tail/2005/11/first_take_xbox.html' target='_blank'>http://www.thelongtail.com/the_long_tail/2005/11/first_take_xbox.html</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Given my interest in the Media Center PC as a Long Tail video platform, I was particularly interested in how well it worked as a Media Center "extender", serving as the link between one of the TVs scattered around our house and the Windows Media Center PC running in the study that serves as our media library and DVR. The simple answer is very well indeed. We'd been using the original Xbox as an extender, but it was always a somewhat clunky solution. For starters, the extender software required a disk to be loaded each time, so if there happened to be a game disk in the machine already, switching them was an extra step. The Xbox also had to be turned on and off manually, an artifact of the fact that it's basically just a regular PC in a closed box. The Xbox 360, on the other hand, has the extender software built-in, and the remote control included with the "fully-loaded" package has a dedicated green Media Center button that both turns on the Xbox 360 and takes it directly to the Media Center interface. The remote can also turn the machine off, which is handy."</i><br /><br />Some further details and speculation on how the Xbox 360 may be Microsoft's secret weapon in the battle for the living rooms of the world.

pocketdoc
12-06-2005, 07:00 PM
Will this work as well with a wireless network running XP pro? Or do I need a MCE system?

I am hoping to integrate the 360 with my TV/stereo/surround system, and wirelessly link to my PCs. I don't know if I would be able to record a show and store it on a remote PC, then stream it via the 360...

Jason Dunn
12-06-2005, 08:12 PM
Will this work as well with a wireless network running XP pro? Or do I need a MCE system?

If you want to stream video, you'll need an MCE system. The Xbox 360 won't even play video from a locally-connected hard drive, let alone stream video across a network. The Media Center Extender makes this all possible though.