View Full Version : Early Holiday Sales are Nano-rific

Jason Dunn
11-29-2005, 07:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://news.designtechnica.com/article8920.html' target='_blank'>http://news.designtechnica.com/article8920.html</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Leading retailers report sales of Apple's iPod nano digital music players shot through the roof over Thanksgiving weekend. Favorite color? Black. (Barely.) The Thanksgiving weekend traditional marks the start of the holiday buying season in the U.S., and Apple's iPod nano got off to a strong start, with the black 2 GB model jumping to the number 6 spot on Amazon.com's list of most popular electronics items, while the white 2 GB version occupied the number 10 spot. But the stats changed Monday, as Amazon.com sold out of the black 2 GB unit, giving the still-available white 2 GB model a surge of popularity. Best Buy's Web site sold out of both the black and white versions of the 4 GB iPod nano, although a spokesperson for Best Buy noted the company had to throttle back its online sales due to high traffic volume related to the launch of Microsoft's Xbox 360."</i><br /><br />The Nano, along with the Xbox 360, are the hot items to get this holiday season so far. Anyone buying a Nano for someone (or themselves) this Christmas?

Jerry Raia
11-29-2005, 07:28 AM
I got myself a 4GB black nano. I couldn't resist. :mrgreen:

Phronetix
11-29-2005, 08:00 AM
I got myself a 4GB black nano. I couldn't resist. :mrgreen:

Ditto. Awesome unit. I advise nanotubes in the stocking if you do, or similar protection. Scratches show far too well.

jlp
11-29-2005, 10:40 PM
I just realized that with 2 GB Hi-speed SD cards going for barely over $100, my old &amp; faithful MPIO FL-100 can run circles around the Nano (and on its screen :P) and then some... 8)

And in a few months/years when your Nano will still be stuck at 2 or 4 GB, my MPIO will confortably swallow 4, 8, 16, 32...∞ GB SD cards.

And still be able to exchange its cards with all my electronic devices 8).

And in a year or so, when your battery will be dead, costing $€$£$¥$F$ to replace, I'll just buy another $2 AAA rechargeable for my MPIO 8).

Besides I always have unlimited battery operation wherever I go, LA, Geneva, Tokyo, Tombuctu, even if the tiny AAAs I bring along are flat I'll find fresh ones everywhere 8).

Still the wisest and most versatile choice.

Jerry Raia
11-29-2005, 10:57 PM
And in a few months/years when your Nano will still be stuck at 2 or 4 GB, my MPIO will confortably swallow 4, 8, 16, 32...∞ GB SD cards.

In a few months my nano will be on ebay. I never keep any gadget more than a year. :wink:

jlp
11-30-2005, 12:22 AM
Try to slip your Nano into your PDA, digicam, MP3 player, moviecam, etc. even into your wallet and please report the results here :P.

:wink:

Jerry Raia
11-30-2005, 01:04 AM
I also like having specialized multiple gadgets. One is never enough. :mrgreen:

Lee Yuan Sheng
11-30-2005, 04:13 AM
Still undecided. 4gb seems a bit small for the price. Though I know one is paying for the size, but I don't mind something a little larger that's cheaper and has a couple of gigabytes more of storage.

Jerry Raia
11-30-2005, 06:53 AM
No question the price is high. The form factor and function are very nice. I'll pay for that.

pacemkr
11-30-2005, 07:13 PM
I just realized that with 2 GB Hi-speed SD cards going for barely over $100, my old &amp; faithful MPIO FL-100 can run circles around the Nano (and on its screen :P) and then some... 8)

And still be able to exchange its cards with all my electronic devices 8).

And in a year or so, when your battery will be dead, costing $€$£$¥$F$ to replace, I'll just buy another $2 AAA rechargeable for my MPIO 8).

Besides I always have unlimited battery operation wherever I go, LA, Geneva, Tokyo, Tombuctu, even if the tiny AAAs I bring along are flat I'll find fresh ones everywhere 8).

Still the wisest and most versatile choice.

I had that player up untill it broke. Did you notice that support simply doesnt exist for MPIO? I had a problem a month or two after purchase. After trying to get hold of them for weeks, I went ahead cracked it open and fixed it myself. A few months back I was synching it, which is a TERIBLY slow process, and it just froze, I disconnect it, the unit is gone. I was using this player for almost a year with a cracked screen too. :lol: And ofcourse when it cracked I couldn't get a hold of ANYONE at MPIO even though I wanted to pay to get it fixed.

In any case, I ended up getting an iRiver H10, not too happy with that one. The glass that protects the screen fell of for absolutely no reason. It just started peiling off instide from the adhesive and then one day simply fell off. Called iRiver twice, "The superviser will call you back within 5 business days", my a$$.

So everyone go ahead and buy more of those iPods, I wish I had, at least Apple wont leave you at the curb when you have a problem with the player.

jlp
12-01-2005, 12:58 AM
I don't sync. I pretty much keep the same thing in internal flash and leave some space for voice or radio recording, something the Nano never had and probably never will. I keep all the music I want to change on the SD card and pop it out and in my PC card reader... fast enough.

Plus I can put every kind of files I can then read on my PPC, notebook or PC, or feed into my digicam if its own card gets full. Another nth thing the Nano can't do and never will :).

You never think you need it... untill you're very glad you can do it 8).

pacemkr
12-01-2005, 01:32 AM
Kinda like support, you'll never think you need it, untill you do. :wink:
The player was nice no doubt about it. I absolutely loved it. I wish the company stood behind its products though. :? Strangely enough the firmware upgrades were pretty regular, go figure.