View Full Version : Any "Black Friday" Digital Media Goodies?

Jason Dunn
11-24-2005, 07:45 PM
Our readers in the USA are celebrating Thanksgiving tomorrow, which for them is nearly as big of a deal as Christmas. It's common for retail stores to have amazing deals on Thanksgiving, and the shopping day is known as "Black Friday". So to all of our readers in the US, do you have any special plans to hunt down a great deal on a TV, DVD player, digital camera, etc? Any cool gadgets you're hoping to score?

Neil Enns
11-24-2005, 07:52 PM
I gotta score one of the FAR Sirius receivers that are being offered at assorted stores so my wife can listen to Howard when he switches in January. Also, Office Depot has 50% off ink and toner, which is well timed since my colour laser printer needs two of its four carts replaced (at $99 a pop!). The 50% off makes the Office Depot price cheaper than even online places.

Of course, what I *really* want is the Canon 5D, but there's no way that's on sale anywhere. Sigh.

Neil

Felix Torres
11-24-2005, 08:14 PM
I'm not in the market, but to me the most significant development out there are the various US$499 26/27" LCD HDTVs...

OSUKid7
11-25-2005, 02:33 AM
Nothing big...going to Circuit City for a 250 GB WD PATA HDD for $59.99 after rebates, and a 512 GB CF card and 512 GB SD card each for $9.99 after rebate.

sundown
11-25-2005, 03:47 AM
I did all of my "BF" deal shopping online this year, for the first time. Spent $1500 (ouch!) which is a LOT for me. Bought one of those DELL - UltraSharp 2005FPW 20.1-inch Wide Aspect Flat Panel LCD's for $414 shipped (plus tax)...not really a BF deal but it ends soon. Picked up Ultra 512MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz CL3 Memory for $10 AR, a new OEM Seagate 300 GB SATA150 NCQ hard drive for $95 AR, DCL 9C 19" LCD for $199 AR and a 20 pack of DVD-R's for free AR.

Lost out on the $399 eMachines T6410 at tigerdirect.com and the $13.99 Verbatim 100-pack DVD-R's farting around trying to make sure I was getting the best deal. Stupid me, but oh well. I ended up buying a T6522 eMachines for $120 more with more features anyway.

Just saw the new Walmart add with the $387 laptop. Cool. Already have one but that's cool.

Jason Dunn
11-25-2005, 07:13 AM
512 GB CF card and 512 GB SD card each for $9.99 after rebate.

Damn! That's a hell of a sweet deal. We don't get stuff like that up in Canada. Grr.

OSUKid7
11-25-2005, 01:13 PM
Damn! That's a hell of a sweet deal. We don't get stuff like that up in Canada. Grr.
Yeah, well I've been to the Circuit City store and back...without any purchases. There were hundreds of people in the store. They did have the hard drive I was looking for (never found the CF/SD cards), but I would have stood in line for hours. Luckily I was able to order the hard drive online today. :) Definitely not doing this next year though...web deals are good enough.

sundown
11-25-2005, 05:30 PM
I was impressed with the pretty sweet deals online this year. I live out in the country now so a trip to the store would require a long drive and possibly an overnight stay at a hotel which negates much of the potential savings.

Lesson learned this year though - if you see a pretty decent deal, go for it or it will be gone in 10 minutes :cry: . I missed out on 4 things I really wanted because I waited a little too long.

Neil Enns
11-26-2005, 04:46 AM
I batted .500. Circuit City had the satellite radio receiver I wanted on the web at the BF price, so I didn't have to brave the store. Office Depot's 50% off ink thing was a scam: it was only for their brand of toner, and only for in-store stock. While they do make a house brand of the carts I needed, they don't stock it in-store (ever) so the coupon was useless.

Booo. Hissss.

Neil