View Full Version : TiVo Losing DVR Ground?

Suhit Gupta
11-19-2005, 04:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://today.reuters.com/news/newsarticle.aspx?type=technologyNews&storyid=2005-11-15T142507Z_01_SCH510771_RTRUKOC_0_US-TIVO.xml' target='_blank'>http://today.reuters.com/news/newsarticle.aspx?type=technologyNews&storyid=2005-11-15T142507Z_01_SCH510771_RTRUKOC_0_US-TIVO.xml</a><br /><br /></div><i>"TiVo Inc. has created a digital video recorder with a name that has worked its way into the American lexicon, but its reputation among users and would-be users is beginning to erode amid generic competitors, according to a new study that relies on Internet buzz to study consumers' opinion. Brandimensions, the research firm that conducted the study, said that TiVo's standalone set-top box is failing in two areas: its inability to record two shows simultaneously and to play back shows in high-definition TV quality. "This may not sound like a big deal," wrote one TiVo user about the latter, "but after watching 'Lost' or 'The Sopranos' on HD, there is no going back.""</i><br /><br />I am actually not surprised by this announcement at all. In fact, when TiVo lost favor with DirecTV (and have since had their off-again, on-again partnership), I felt this would happen. Anyways, I have found that most users are quite comfortable with extending their existing cable service to include a DVR.

Ed Hansberry
11-19-2005, 08:17 PM
having three tivos it doesn't bother me that it can only record one show at a time with each unit. I just move shows around the network or to a PC where I want to watch it. that said though, TiVo is rapidly falling to the least capable DVR on the market. I wouldn't mind adding a Super TiVo capable of dual recording with massive disks for HD recording to my TiVoLAN. ;]

James Fee
11-20-2005, 04:29 PM
I've actually gone back to TiVo from a SA8300 as I couldn't stand the interface. I will admit I still have a SA8300HD, but as soon as TiVo has a HD version I'm bailing on that.

Until cable companies invest in simple features such as season passes and name based recording, I can't see how TiVo will disappear.

randalllewis
11-22-2005, 12:14 AM
I've actually gone back to TiVo from a SA8300 as I couldn't stand the interface. I will admit I still have a SA8300HD, but as soon as TiVo has a HD version I'm bailing on that.

Until cable companies invest in simple features such as season passes and name based recording, I can't see how TiVo will disappear.

I've never used TiVo though a friend raves about his. I added a DVR to my system when I purchased an HD TV recently and the DVR is almost as cool as the high def set. I don't know what James means by season passes or name based recording but my Comcast DVR allows me to record South Park every night and Lost every week and it will search for programs via name, actor, program type (drama, comedy), or whether it is in HD or not. It is about as simple to use as can be. I don't know if that is as a result of the Microsoft software or not, but I can't imagine a TiVo being easier to use than what I experience.

Jason Dunn
11-22-2005, 05:59 AM
I have a HD Motorola DVR from my cable company, and my Media Center 2005. The MCE records most of the shows because it's SO good as a PVR, the Motorola is only for the HD stuff, because it SUCKS as a PVR.

Vincent Ferrari
11-22-2005, 04:37 PM
Let's not forget Tivo's hugest weakness... It's incompatible with most cable boxes out of the box and uses an IR dongle. Please.

My DVR from my cable company does everything a Tivo does with the exception of the thumbs up / thumbs down, but my cable box can record two shows and watch a third recorded show, or record one while watching and recording another. Unless I'm mistaken, Tivo STILL can't do that.

Tivo was revolutionary, and they deserve credit for creating the market. But their lack of features coupled with their new "cancellation fee" really are going to be its downfall. Sucks to get pushed out of a market you created, doesn't it?