View Full Version : Toshiba Licenses HD-DVD to Chinese Manufacturers

Jason Dunn
11-03-2005, 12:27 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://news.com.com/Toshibas+risky+push+on+HD-DVD/2100-1041_3-5928133.html?tag=nefd.top' target='_blank'>http://news.com.com/Toshibas+risky+push+on+HD-DVD/2100-1041_3-5928133.html?tag=nefd.top</a><br /><br /></div><i>"In the high-stakes battle with Sony over whose format will power the next generation of DVD players, Toshiba has adopted a potentially perilous strategy: encouraging low-cost Chinese competitors to crank out machines using its standard, known as HD-DVD. Courting Chinese makers has been largely taboo in Japan, where manufacturers like Sony and Panasonic have long tried to delay the transition of their technologies into cheap commodities. Toshiba's decision could have major ramifications in the race for the billions of dollars that are likely to flow from the next generation of DVD technology, which promises enhanced pictures and audio and more disc space."</i><br /><br />Now here's an interesting move by Toshiba that will certainly shake things up! Opening it up to the cut-throat nature of Chinese manufacturing will have a big impact on price, and this might be a serious body-blow to the Blu-Ray group, which is already reeling. What are your thoughts?

Felix Torres
11-03-2005, 01:56 AM
In a format war like this, the winner is usually the first to $300.

If HD-DVD gets there before BD-ROM launches, they can change the equation for everybody in the BD-camp.

Given that Sony has been keeping the chinese at arm's length, they now face the lose-lose choice of either matching Toshiba and creating a monster that will erode their profits or risking losing the war.

yada88
11-03-2005, 03:11 AM
We all know Sony's gonna be Sony, and not change. Note readjust. They will do nothing, regardless. If blue ray fails tomorrow, they'll still push it for five more years. In a word, sony is "STUPID."

Sorry for that rant :rant:

On another note, I think the CEO of Sony and the CEO of Toshiba should both enter a ring. I think they should fight, until one dies, and the other should exit, victorious.

mar2k
11-03-2005, 03:36 AM
A couple of weeks ago Sony was "declaring victory" based on former HD-DVD backing studios saying they will support both camps. Its obvious that Toshiba is not backing down any time soon and is willing to play rough.

I hope HD-DVD wins out, if for no other reason that to see Sony lose out. I'm so sick of their proprietary crap. I hope heavy hitters like Dell will follow HP's lead in supporting HD-DVD. I for one DO want managed copy rights for my legally owned content. I also want cheaper media, hardware and the best backwards compatibility with current DVDs. Unfortunately, Sony's Blu-Ray ace is the PS3. Microsoft could really give HD-DVD a boost by getting HD-DVD drives in the XBox 360 sooner rather than later.

Felix Torres
11-03-2005, 04:10 AM
Unfortunately, Sony's Blu-Ray ace is the PS3.

Have you considered the posibility that that might *not* be true?

Sony talks up BD-ROM for PS3 because they figure BD-ROM would sell PS3s, not the other way around. But if PS3 ships *before* BD-ROM is established and a format war is raging, BD-ROM could drag the PS3 down with it. The PS3 is going to be expensive enough to build without saddling it with an expensive drive that might not increase sales after all.

Best guess here?
If PS3 ships in 06 at all, it ships *without* BD-ROM.

Wouldn't be the first time a Sony console ships without features heavily hyped before launch. Go check the pre-launch hype for PS2, PSX, and PSP and compare it to the products that actually shipped.

Over-promising and under-delivering is a Sony tradition by now.
Which is why so many are skeptical of Sony's ability to actually deliver hybrid and multi-layer BD-ROM disks any time soon.