View Full Version : Picasa 2.1 Supports More Online Printing Options

Jason Dunn
10-25-2005, 06:00 AM
When I posted on Picasa 2.1 coming out last week, the list of features (http://www.digitalmediathoughts.com/index.php?topic_id=9110) mentioned nothing about added support for online printers. See, I'm in Canada and when I want to order online prints I have to export my photos then upload them via my browser with an outside service. I've always wanted to be able to order prints from within Picasa. Just for the heck of it, tonight I decided to see if Canada was supported. It was! 8O I don't know when they added this, but it sure wasn't there the last time I checked. If this was new with 2.1, why the heck wouldn't they mention this? Here's a screenshot of the supported countries:

http://www.digitalmediathoughts.com/images/picasa-printing-support.gif

Just for fun I ordered a few prints from Bonusprint, the only option for Canada. Prices are about what I was expecting: 25 cents for a 4x6, 40 cents for 5x7, and $2.80 for an 8x10. They also over poster-sized prints in the form of 12 x 16" for $8.99, 12 x 18" for $8.99, 24" x 32" for $34.95, mugs, and mouse mats. They offer "digital" sizes such as 4" x 5.3" and 6" x 8" - I assume this is related to the aspect ratio of digital cameras and it's an option that avoids the cropping of digital photos. I don't know why someone would want those sizes though, they'd be hard to frame! Overall Bonusprint isn't especially impressive when compared to polished services such as Kodak Gallery (formerly Ofoto), Shutterfly, and the other services that have been around. Heck, even Wal-Mart Canada's site looks more professional! Shipping is $3.99 anywhere in Canada, which seems to be a flat rate because I only ordered six prints. Ultimately the real test is the quality of the images - I ordered a few with a glossy finish, and a few with a matte finish. I'm just glad there's finally an option for printing from within Picasa for Canadians. Thank you Picasa!

Mike Temporale
10-25-2005, 10:43 AM
WooHoo! that's great news. :D Be sure to let us know how the prints turned out!

Darius Wey
10-26-2005, 03:13 AM
WooHoo! that's great news. :D Be sure to let us know how the prints turned out!

Bah, Austria, not Australia. :( :lol:

Mike Temporale
10-26-2005, 04:22 AM
It's amazing the impact 2 little letters can have, eh? ;)