View Full Version : Are You Still Using CDs?

Suhit Gupta
10-25-2005, 05:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://blogs.pcworld.com/techlog/archives/001024.html' target='_blank'>http://blogs.pcworld.com/techlog/archives/001024.html</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Over at What Do I Know, music fan Todd Dominey is <a href="http://whatdoiknow.org/archives/002439.shtml">talking about</a> the fact that he's dumping all his CDs and going entirely digital, storing his tunes on a 500GB hard drive. His whole post is worth reading, but the sentence that hit home with me was this: "I can't remember the last time I placed a CD in a real CD player." I can't quite say that's true in my case--my car has a six-CD changer that I use from time to time. But thinking about it, I'm struck by the fact that when I bought that car, less than two years ago, I was excited by the notion of having a CD changer, and plunked down a fair amount of money to get one."</i><br /><br />Very interesting as I am about to get a car myself (survey coming up later this week regarding that, so stay tuned), but to stay more on subject, I am curious to know about how many of you now rip all your music vs. how many of you listen to actual CDs. So it is survey time.

rlobrecht
10-25-2005, 05:19 PM
You forgot radio.

My listening is all a dedicated DAP while at the office (iPod nano right now), and half and half DAP and radio in the car. At home, we primarily listen to music on a different DAP (Turtle Beach AudioTron.)

Jerry Raia
10-25-2005, 05:21 PM
iPod mostly but still CDs in the car.

Felix Torres
10-25-2005, 05:32 PM
What about WMA users? :wink:

Jason Dunn
10-25-2005, 05:38 PM

Updated the poll.

Myself, I mostly listen to WMA/MP3s on my computer or home network media player, next often I listen to WMA/MP3s burned onto a CD in my car, and after that it's a regular CD in my car (much more rare).

that_kid
10-25-2005, 06:34 PM
In the car I have a neo car jukebox with a 160 gig drive, in the house I have media centers all over which pull from a fileserver. While out and about I use my ipod. Now when I buy a new cd it gets ripped then stored. No more stolen, lost or borrowed cd's.

Felix Torres
10-25-2005, 07:04 PM

Updated the poll.

Just checking. 8)

My breakdown is 80% WMA off a dedicated player, 10% WMA off my TabletPC, 10% WMA off work desktop.

I am currently using CDs as essentially a distribution/archival medium.
And for future-proofing.
Most of my CDs go straight from the case to WMP to the closet in two easy steps. :wink:

jeffd
10-25-2005, 07:47 PM
for the past 2 years I listened to nothing but mp3cd's on my rio250 player, but it has sense died and they just don't make cd players like that anymore. So for now I am using my pocket PC for most of my music playback, but my truck has a sony deck capable of mp3 playback so I still use mp3cd's in my truck.

gibb193a
10-25-2005, 08:15 PM
It has been a long time since I even bought a physical CD. I have even stopped ripping the CDs that I do own ever since I got my digital music subscription. If I want to hear a song - whether I have the disk or not - I just download it (and every new CD that piques my interest). I was really originally on the camp of "why rent music" but I have since changed my mind.

Now I don't have a car but if I did, I would want to find a way to connect my DAP to the car stereo!

Tim Williamson
10-25-2005, 08:44 PM
I mostly listen to music from my PC, when I'm in the car I use the nano.

As long as CDs exist I will continue to buy CDs and rip to MP3 (or some digital format) because I like to save an archive copy of all my music.

Suhit Gupta
10-25-2005, 10:27 PM
You forgot radio.
Good point actually. :)

Suhit

Suhit Gupta
10-25-2005, 10:30 PM

Updated the poll.
Whoops again. Well, you know what I meant though. Actually, I noticed that I put wav there and actually intended to put wma instead but fingers clearly had a mind of their own. ;-)

Suhit

Darius Wey
10-26-2005, 03:04 AM
At home, it'll primarily be MP3s/radio on the computer. On-the-go, it'll be the aforementioned on my Pocket PC. In the car, believe it or not, standard audio CDs (none of this MP3/WMA CDs) - yeah, I'm still using the default deck, which doesn't support anything but standard audio CDs. Thankfully, I also use my Pocket PC and a radio transmitter, so it's a 50:50 distribution. ;)

Bob12
10-26-2005, 04:41 AM
I didn't vote because it's single choice. At home, I have a pair of Sony mega-changers (400 CD capacity) that contain my entire library. I use the shuffle and shuttle mode to switch transports after each randomly played track. My vehicle includes a 6 disk changer that plays MP3 disks so I converted 90 of my favorite CDs to MP3 and burned them to CD-Rs for use when I'm on the road.

Neil Enns
10-26-2005, 05:00 PM
A couple of months ago I went through the process of ripping all my CDs onto a drive in my computer. I thought it would take forever, but it actually went quite quickly. Now all my CDs are stored in paper sleeves along with their liner notes in stylish boxes. They take up far less room this way than in their original cases!

All the music listening at home is done with music off the computer, either directly or through a media center in the living room.

99% of the music in the car, however, comes from an XM Satellite Radio.

Neil

alanjrobertson
10-26-2005, 07:17 PM
Whenever I buy a CD I rip it to my PC (as MP3). Then listen to all music as MP3 either on the PC or my Palm T3 (1Gb SD card). Listen to a fair bit of music too, either on portable (analogue, not DAB) radio, on my DAB alarm clock ('The Bug' (http://www.thebug.com)) or BBC Radio Player at my PC.

Varied methods but enjoy the music whichever one I use :D

Alan