View Full Version : An "Open letter" to MCE Community from Joe Belfiore, General Manager, Windows XP Media Center

Jason Dunn
10-18-2005, 11:30 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://msmvps.com/chrisl/archive/2005/10/14/70807.aspx' target='_blank'>http://msmvps.com/chrisl/archive/2005/10/14/70807.aspx</a><br /><br /></div>"My son just turned two years old. For his entire life, the TV set in our family room has been a magic box that constantly offers him reminders of his childhood — a photo slide show of his cousin Serena visiting from Florida; “The Hoppity Song,” perfect for jumping and dancing at a button-press; videos that Dad took of him first walking, or swimming, or even being a goofball and kissing his own reflection in the bathroom mirror. Sometimes in the middle of the night when he wakes up, my wife or I sleepily bring him into our bedroom and let him watch a video to calm him down — he long ago learned which icon next to the My Videos folder on the screen he should point to so that we would cue up the right one, completely on demand.<br /><br />Alexander will never know a world without being completely surrounded by digital images of his life, or where every TV set in the house doesn’t instantly give him access to the music he wants to listen to — any song in the world — or the TV show he wants to watch, someday even any show in the world. And thanks to all of you who have worked with our team at Microsoft to make this vision a reality, there are 4 million households right now around the world that will enjoy the same “digital life” that my family does every day.<br /><br />This month, Windows® XP Media Center Edition turns three years old. It was just three short years ago that the first PCs became available in the U.S., Canada and Korea with Media Center Edition and since then a HUGE amount of terrific stuff has happened with Media Center — and I am writing this letter to say an enormous, resounding THANK YOU to all the enthusiastic users and highly engaged partners who have been part of the community which is making this happen. (Shoot, in some parts of Europe and Asia, Media Center isn’t even two yet!)"<br /><br />This letter from Joe has some stats and background information on where MCE has been, and where it's going. 2005 has been a great year for MCE, and 2006 will be even better.

Mike Temporale
10-19-2005, 03:58 AM
"Alexander will never know a world without being completely surrounded by digital images of his life, or where every TV set in the house doesn’t instantly give him access to the music he wants to listen to — any song in the world — or the TV show he wants to watch, someday even any show in the world. And thanks to all of you who have worked with our team at Microsoft to make this vision a reality, there are 4 million households right now around the world that will enjoy the same “digital life” that my family does every day.

My daughter is in the same boat. While we haven't had a media center machine for the entire 3 years, it's had enough of an impact. Why, just this morning she was telling me to look in the my video's section for the video she wanted (and not the recorded TV section). She doesn't know that some shows are "live" because we almost never watch live tv anymore. 8)