View Full Version : Spinning CableCARD FUD

James Fee
08-21-2005, 05:55 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/entry/1276/rob_enderle_gets' target='_blank'>http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/entry/1276/rob_enderle_gets</a><br /><br /></div><i>"As expected, since Enderle does not side with any particular company, organization, or technology, he was right on the mark with his thoughts on the topics presented. Case in point – Windows Vista's possible CableCard support: He explains, that if Microsoft ever implements CableCable support in Vista, that users would not have access to advance network features that they would otherwise get from a provider's set-top box – i.e. access to Video-On-Demand, Pay-Per-View, and possibly even HD programming. In his words: "Even when it gets CableCard [support]... in the Vista time frame... it looks like it's going to be [a] hobbled CableCard... and that's going to remain problematic for the platform until that gets resolved."</i><br /><br />I think CableCARD is going to be a huge deal in the next year. Of course the cable companies are ready to try and <a href="http://www.timewarnercable.com/corporate/products/digitalcable/cablecard.html">convice you not to invest</a> in a CableCARD ready device, but I don't think people care too much about missing PPV movies (especially with Netflix around). To think that customers will be unhappy not having "advanced" features such as targeted ads is a joke. People want choice and CableCARD gives them that choice. I know with my CableCARD TiVo I will get all the HD channels that my cable provider offers and that is all I care about. <i>MIGHT</i> there be features that the cable companies come up with that require their STB? Probably, but if they require me to use their STB, I won't bite.<br /><br />CableCARD isn't here yet and the spin machine is already trying to create FUD over it. Just ignore it and be thankful that you'll have many more choices in the next year.<br /><br /><b>update</b> I just wanted to add the only reason that CableCARD can't support "advanced" features is that CableCARD is one way only, meaning that it can only receive data not send it. So unless your HD feed requires your STB to send signal back, you'll be able to receive it. I doubt we'll see any HD feeds that require this anytime soon.

Felix Torres
08-22-2005, 01:35 AM
Actually, the one-way nature of the current implentation of CableCard has the potential of blowing up in the face of the cable companies if they drag their feet on implementing version 2.0.
Cause one-way cable card is a perfect match for MCE PCs which already provide their own program guide and on-demand movies. If enough folks combining cablecard + MCE sign up for broadband media services this will help ramp up these services that steal customers from the cable operators.

In other words, if the cable companies want to preserve their video on-demand cash cows, they would be well advised to *hurry* two-way cablecard before NetFlix and co get their act in geat.
(Of course, they would rather see cablecard die, but that isn't in the cards. ;-) )

James Fee
08-22-2005, 05:36 AM
Well that is just it. I'd rather just use TiVo or MCE for my GUI since both of them are much better the the one's my cable company uses. In fact both of them are platforms others are building upon so they offer up more choices than the standard STB does from the cable company.

Felix Torres
08-22-2005, 04:13 PM
Well that is just it. I'd rather just use TiVo or MCE for my GUI since both of them are much better the the one's my cable company uses. In fact both of them are platforms others are building upon so they offer up more choices than the standard STB does from the cable company.

Competition is good.
We like competition, right?

As a current user of a Scientific Atlanta 8300HD STB I am both impressed by what it delivers and underwhelmed with *how* it delivers it.
MCEs and TiVO currently offer a lot more sophistication and features, but the STBs offer the basics for a lot less out-of-pocket expense.
Hopefully the competition will bring out cheaper MCEs and TiVOs and more powerful and flexible STBs.

The key thing that we can't lose sight of is that, imperfect as it is, Cablecard does open up the cable systems to competition. And while none of the three platforms is anywhere near where they need to be, the game is way too early to be writing any of them off long term.

klinux
08-22-2005, 05:00 PM
(Alexander Grundner from eHomeupgrade stated that) "since Enderle does not side with any particular company, organization, or technology"

You gotta to be kidding me right? Enderle is known to be a major PR/marketing schill. Search the web for his comments on SCO and OS X.

Felix Torres
08-22-2005, 08:20 PM
(Alexander Grundner from eHomeupgrade stated that) "since Enderle does not side with any particular company, organization, or technology"

You gotta to be kidding me right? Enderle is known to be a major PR/marketing schill. Search the web for his comments on SCO and OS X.

Well, now; you can't call somebody a shill and still expect them to give you interviews for your site. :twisted:

James Fee
08-22-2005, 10:15 PM
You gotta to be kidding me right? Enderle is known to be a major PR/marketing schill. Search the web for his comments on SCO and OS X.The whole article is a joke. Just typical stuff from eHomeUpgrade.

klinux
08-22-2005, 10:19 PM
True. Enderle is one of the more famous quote mills (or quote whores, whichever) out there but what surprised me is how often he is wrong i.e. death of Microsoft "Based on historical performance, unless something changes dramatically, the odds of Microsoft's escaping a disastrous outcome remain poor." (4/2000, Windows IT Pro) and "I'm seeing very little demand for XP" (10/2001 in PC Mag), death of Apple (semi-often), and death of Linux (very often, search for him and SCO). However, I think he is now pro-Microsoft now.