View Full Version : Samsung Plans More MP3 players

James Fee
08-19-2005, 06:30 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://today.reuters.com/news/newsarticle.aspx?type=technologyNews&summit=&storyid=2005-08-18T095230Z_01_DIT835567_RTRIDST_0_TECH-SINGAPORE-SAMSUNG-DC.XML' target='_blank'>http://today.reuters.com/news/newsarticle.aspx?type=technologyNews&summit=&storyid=2005-08-18T095230Z_01_DIT835567_RTRIDST_0_TECH-SINGAPORE-SAMSUNG-DC.XML</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd., the world's most valuable technology firm outside of the United States, introduced six new additions to its eight-model range of Yepp players in the first six months, in an effort to treble its annual sales to more than 5 million units. But the target is still a sixth of the expected 2005 sales of rival Apple Computer Inc.'s iPod player. The thumb- to pocket-sized gadgets of both Samsung and Apple also face growing competition from mobile phone makers who are adding MP3 music functions to high-end models."</i><br /><br />Yada, yada, yada... After hearing Creative's plans to take over the world of digital media players over the past couple years I'm going to pretty much assume nothing will come of this announcement. 12 new players is impressive, but lets be honest, unless they start advertising them like Apple does the iPod, they probably won't sell too well. I've been waiting for Samsung to take this market seriously and it looks like they finally are, but it might be too late. The smart move is to wait until video gets sorted out and then use their LCD experience to blow that market away.

gibb193a
08-19-2005, 07:15 PM
...unless they start advertising them like Apple does the iPod, they probably won't sell too well.

Why don't they (Samsung, Creative, etc) get that this is a key to their success?

Jason Dunn
08-20-2005, 06:27 PM
Why don't they (Samsung, Creative, etc) get that this is a key to their success?

It's quite stunning, isn't it? They don't understand that popular culture watches TV, so if you want to get your product known to popular culture, you have to:

1) Advertise on TV
2) Get your product in TV shows/movies
3) Get a buzz going about your product