View Full Version : Microsoft on DRM, Content Protection, and PVP-OPM

Chris Gohlke
07-28-2005, 07:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://msmvps.com/chrisl/archive/2005/07/25/59605.aspx' target='_blank'>http://msmvps.com/chrisl/archive/2005/07/25/59605.aspx</a><br /><br /></div><i>“Our fundamental goal governing our content protection efforts is to ensure that “content flows”. This requires coordination across multiple – and intimately related - dimensions. As a platform provider, we provide the technology that allows these partners to test and implement new business models and scenarios. It remains up to “the market” to determine the equilibrium that drives any free-enterprise system."</i><br /><br />This is Chris Lanier quoting information he received from Microsoft. While it is up to the content provider to decide whether to use the tools Microsoft provides, Microsoft needs to ensure that the tools are pretty seamless and unobtrusive from the user perspective to really make this successful.

Jeremy Charette
07-28-2005, 07:35 AM
The statement Chris posted "makes sense" from a content protection standpoint, but leaves the average consumer out in the cold. Some basic questions:

What about consumers who don't have an HDMI input on their HDTV? (My HDTV only has an HD Component Video input.)

Assuming the Xbox 360 will eventually include an HD DVD drive, will Xbox 360 owners be able to play protected HD content through HD Component Video inputs? Will they be forced to upgrade to HDMI to be able to play HDCP content?

Will consumers be forced to upgrade to an HDMI monitor and video card in order to play HDCP content on their computers?

Will every device, be it a consumer device such as a DVD player, or a PC, need to have an internet connection in order to be able to validate the DRM protection contained on the DVD?

I can see too many potential problems for this to be a seamless process for the consumer. In an effort to protect content providers from a relatively small minority of hackers and file sharers, Microsoft and other DRM advocates are effectively preventing every consumer from having an enjoyable entertainment experience.

gdoerr56
07-28-2005, 01:44 PM
Don't blame Microsoft...

The real issue here, as it has always been, is with the content providers. In order for Microsoft to be able to convince content providers to make HD content available, Microsoft has to be able to show the content providers that their content is 'safe' from hijacking.

The content providers are waging a heated battle to protect their content under the premise that most of us will steal 'their' content given the chance. There is no thought being given to 'fair use', ease of use, or any other use, for that matter, other than making sure the content owners get their money AND retain control over their content.

It is messed up, consumers will be disadvantaged and it is being made far more complex than it needs to be. No question about that.

But Microsoft, while they make many bone-headed calls, did not create the current environment. They are simply trying to play in it.