View Full Version : WMV HD DVD: What's the point?

Jeremy Charette
07-26-2005, 11:00 PM
Earlier this year, I purchased an HDTV, and I've been bitten by the HD bug. Every game on my Xbox now looks incredible in 480p (my HDTV doesn't support 720p), my progressive scan DVD player looks fantastic, and despite the near-total lack of content, HDTV from Time Warner looks even better at 1080i. So in my quest for still more ways to show off my great new TV, I've been trying to find a way to play High-Definition movies.

There's very few options as far as HD movies go. About the only option at all is to buy a WMV HD compatible DVD player, and one of the few WMV HD DVDs (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/content_provider/film/dvd.aspx). (D-VHS (http://www.dvhsmovie.com/)is an obscure format, and there's only one (http://www.dvhsmovie.com/hardware/hardware-detail.asp?hid=1)very expensive player available.) It turns out that there's two DVD players (they call them "media centers") that support WMV HD playback. However, most of the WMV HD DVDs won't play on WMV HD compatible DVD players! WMV HD DVDs are DRM protected, and the DRM verification process is currently only compatible with Windows Media Player on a PC.

:bad-words:<!>

What's the point of making WMV HD compatible DVD players, and WMV HD DVDs, if they don't work together?! The majority of PC users don't have a high enough screen resolution to be able to playback HD content, but Microsoft has made it impossible for them to play WMV HD movies on their TV! From all indications, it will be a while before even Windows XP Media Center Edition natively supports HDTV content. I think Microsoft is missing a huge opportunity to tap a growing revenue stream here, as well the chance to get a head start on BluRay and HD DVD.

The production costs for current red laser DVDs are significantly lower than BluRay or HD DVD discs, as they can be made on existing production equipment. No doubt Microsoft could charge a royalty fee to the movie studios for the right to use WMV HD compression, and to the hardware manufacturers for the right to use WMV decoder chipsets. Production costs (at high volumes) would be right in line with current DVD player prices, encouraging consumers to adopt the technology at much faster rate than the more expensive BluRay and HD DVD players. A small premium could even be charged, greatly increasing profits, while still keeping prices far lower than competing technologies.

The only reason I can see for Microsoft to ignore this strategy is their current motivation: HD DVD and/or BluRay royalties. Everyone wants a piece of the pie, including Microsoft. It was recently announced (http://news.com.com/Toshiba,+Microsoft+strengthen+ties+on+DVDs/2100-1041_3-5763919.html)that they have signed an agreement with Toshiba to use Windows CE in every Toshiba HD DVD player, as well as share technology between the two companies in other products. In addition, as soon as HD DVD drives are commercially available, they will be incorporated into the upcoming Xbox 360 (the first Xbox 360s will have conventional DVD drives).

Regardless of licensing agreements, royalties, or corporate maneuvering, consumers can't get enough HD content. I personally don't want to have to wait until the end of this year, or until 2006 and beyond. As I find out new and exciting ways to play HD content, rest assured that you'll all be hearing about them, hopefully soon.

Jason Dunn
07-26-2005, 11:45 PM
I've been REALLY impressed by the WMV HD trailers I've downloaded, and it would be awesome to get that on my big screen TV in DVD format. But it sure seems like things aren't in place for that to happen... :?

RenesisX
07-27-2005, 08:03 PM
And also, by the fact the WMV HD DVDs have to "phone home" and connect to the licensing server to get the license, they also check your IP and strictly enforce the region control.

So if you buy T2 from the US and import to the UK, it won't play.

(unless you use a US proxy or you're on AOL)

brianchris
07-28-2005, 12:54 AM
Slightly off topic, but I too am a bit confused. The newest versions of WinDVD and PowerDVD indicate they are WMV-HD compatible. HOWEVER, those players are MPEG-2 decoders, and WMV-HD is a format all into itself (WMV, right?), so how do those third party software MPEG-2 decoders come into the mix??? :?:

-Brian

klinux
07-28-2005, 02:34 AM
Most media players now can decode multiple formats. For example, I se Media Player Classic on PC and VLC on Mac - they play virtually all formats under the sun.

P.S. - I hate the phone home features of WMVHD too. I can't imagine the thought someone somewhere (if they wanted too) can know how often I watched a particular program when.

if015926
07-28-2005, 05:23 AM
As klinux mentioned, the conventional MPEG-2 board can be compatible with WMV HD based on the specificaiton of WinDVD and PowerDVD in Windows OS. But i guess WMV HD file format maybe is encoded with NO DRM, and for wathcing WMV HD DVD in the conventional DVD player, it won't play. To get attention from the user like me, Microsoft must give apportunity for the user to enjoy WMV HD DVD in a conventional DVD player, and must give lower royalty to DVD player manufaturers.