View Full Version : Tablet PCs as a Digital Darkroom

Jason Dunn
06-13-2005, 09:09 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/digitalphotography/expert/honeycutt_03may16.mspx' target='_blank'>http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/digitalphotography/expert/honeycutt_03may16.mspx</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Windows XP Tablet PC Edition and my Fujitsu Stylistic ST4000 Tablet PC are now permanent additions to my camera bag. Taking my Tablet PC with me is like taking a digital darkroom on the road, one that takes the guess work out of photography. What makes a Tablet PC any better for digital photography than a plain old laptop computer? The advantages are all about the form factor. Most Tablet PCs are light weight. In fact, they're lighter than many professional digital cameras, so you'll barely notice them in your bag. Also, proofing a picture on a tablet computer is more like holding a print in your hands than viewing the same picture on a laptop computer's LCD. Last, the pen is a more natural way to proof, edit, and mark up pictures on a computer than using a mouse."</i><br /><br />This is something I've thought about as well, but I've just never been able to justify the purchase of a Tablet PC. Both for video and photo editing, a pen interface would be cool...at least, I think it would. I haven't used a current-generation Tablet PC - do they have digitizers that are more sensitive and less twitchy? I used an old Acer and it wasn't something I could see myself using for hours on end because the floating cursor bothered me too much. :D

Felix Torres
06-13-2005, 11:48 PM
I haven't used a current-generation Tablet PC - do they have digitizers that are more sensitive and less twitchy? I used an old Acer and it wasn't something I could see myself using for hours on end because the floating cursor bothered me too much. :D

If by Acer tablet you mean the CT-10xx convertible model, that one used a Wacom active digitizer. Most of the current generation Tablet PCs use a Wacom pressure-sensitive active digitizer, too. There are a few models, Averatec comes to mind, who don't, but all the name-brand players seem to have settled on Wacom; HP was the biggest first-gen holdout and they switched.

I don't think any vendors are doing branded Tablet PCs with passive digitizers, like the pocket PC's, so the floating cursor is pretty much universal.
Most of us tend to think of it as a feature. ;-)
If you really can't stand the floating cursor, your only recourse would be a non-"Tablet PC" pen tablet.
I think Fujitsu still makes a couple like that.

Is your interest focused on a slate or convertible tablet?
The difference comes down to the keyboard weight being a must-carry

What I most like about Tablets is how they're fully functional without forcing me to carry a keyboard. Even on an ultralight sub-note, the keyboard is more of a hindrance than a help for the stuff I do.

If you are any kind of dedicated reader, a slate Tablet PC is a must.

I'm not enough of a photographer to think about a tablet in digital darkroom terms but given that you're talking full XP in a three pound slate, yeah; it makes sense: photo-editing is definitely not keyboard intensive and the advantages of portrait computing on the road can really shine on a tablet.

But you can't stand the floating cursor?
Too bad...
I love my lil HP TC-1000 despite its "merely adequate" Transmeta cpu.
Had it for two years and it looks good for at least another, possibly two.
I'll likely look for a replacement after Longhorn comes out, but for now it does everything I might need except high-res wmv playback and I don't yet have much need for that.

ctmagnus
06-14-2005, 12:36 AM
I had been considering a notebook for a very, very long time. But recently, I started reading about Tablet PCs and I've come to the conclusion that a convertable Tablet PC is the only way to go, at least for my needs. My only issue is, do I go for a largish one such as the Tecra M4 (http://www.toshiba.ca/web/product.grp?lg=en&amp;section=1&amp;group=1&amp;product=4492), or a smaller one that, while more portable, will have a smaller screen and probably only 1024*768 resolution.

I can see Tablet PCs eventually replacing desktops and notebooks in the vast majority of situations. They run a superset of XP Pro and imo the user interface is much more logical than that of most keyboards. And humans have been typing for only 130 years whereas they been writing/drawing/scribbling for millions of years.

Felix Torres
06-14-2005, 02:13 AM
I had been considering a notebook for a very, very long time. But recently, I started reading about Tablet PCs and I've come to the conclusion that a convertable Tablet PC is the only way to go, at least for my needs. My only issue is, do I go for a largish one such as the Tecra M4 (http://www.toshiba.ca/web/product.grp?lg=en&amp;section=1&amp;group=1&amp;product=4492), or a smaller one that, while more portable, will have a smaller screen and probably only 1024*768 resolution.

You have *lots* of other choices.
Check out the Toshiba portege; it has a 12" screen that runs 1440 by 1050. Weighs about 3.5 pounds. No built-in optical drive, though.
(It's a killer on wmv hd video playback.)

Acer has a 12"incher with a combo drive built in but the res is 1024.
Ditto for the Averatec, which can be had for as little as $800.
The Tecra is a heavy critter--6 pounds--more of a desktop replacement than an actual walkabout tablet.
(Unless your name is Ah-nold, Popeye, or Bruce Banner.) ;-)

If you do like 'em big, Gateway, Acer, and Fujitsu have a range of 14-16" tablets.
Just bear in mind that in portrait mode you gain a 33% multiplier, so the tablets play bigger than they really are; ie, a 12" tablet in portrait mode is as useful as a 16" notebook for many tasks.

bmhome1
06-14-2005, 02:30 AM
I use my Acer 303xmi Tablet PC (14 inch/ 1.7Gz /1.5GB RAM /7200 60GB drive) as a digital polaroid viewer on photo shoots. The tablet offers easy group viewing (looking naturally down on an image) and quick stylus control of direct to computer captures via camera USB with Nikon Capture software. It works great and very intuitively.

The latest generation tablets offer equal specs to regular laptops performance for the required CPU intensive real-time stylus input and response. The lag with older first generation tablets is gone with high-power models such as new Acer 310 and Toshiba M4.

Felix Torres
06-14-2005, 04:28 AM
Hmm, forgot to mention: Motion Computing and Fujitsu have outdoor-viewable screen options for some of their tablets.

That should be useful for photographers.

Lee Yuan Sheng
06-14-2005, 06:40 AM
On location every kg counts, and frankly a 1+ kg tablet (only the NEC is slightly under 1 kg) is weight that could be better used for another lens (or two even), as Murphy's Law dictates that the lens you want is always the lens you leave behind. :P Of course if you're in a studio-like environment it's a different thing altogether.

Top it off I need my keyboard; PS and image viewing is so slow without them! If I need to carry a notebook I'd rather carry the IBM X40 (with the 8 cell battery) or the ASUS of a similar configaration and weight (1.5 kg, same small size and amazing battery life).

rlobrecht
06-14-2005, 06:13 PM
I'm not a professional photographer, but we've posted over 18,000 pictures on our family website over the last few years, so I do a lot of digital darkrooming. I love my Tablet PC for it. Sitting on the couch (or in coach) with my tablet in portrait mode is a great way to edit pictures. I've set up a bunch of custom actions in Photoshop to help with things that take tons of keyboard presses (or are way deep in the menus.) It works really well. My biggest problem with my Tablet (an Acer TM C111) is that its battery life is a bit short: just about two hours. I knew this going in, so its not a surprise, but even with an extra battery, I do run out upon occassion.

For a good community on Tablets check out TabletPCBuzz (http://www.tabletpcbuzz.com)

Jonathon Watkins
06-15-2005, 08:38 PM
Like Jason, this is something I have thought about, but can't really justify getting at the moment. Perhaps I'll wait till tablets with 1920 x 1080 screens come out. Perfect for HD TV viewing! :wink: